alternator output

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
DWS

alternator output

Post by DWS »

It seems lektricks are more than a mystery to a lot of us, including me. Your certainly not alone Ray

I once read that all electrical wires are full of smoke, and it's when the smoke gets out that the problems start! Edited by - DWS on 15 Oct 2010 1:54:21 PM
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
greasemonkey62

alternator output

Post by greasemonkey62 »

I went for a celebratory run today, she ran like a dream, but when I got home the chaincase was leaking spots of oil, not much but I had just fitted a new gasket and red hermatited it too, bugger !!!!
wilko

alternator output

Post by wilko »

Don't overfill it. The usual just dipping in oil on the bottom run stops excess oil throwing out the mainshaft hole.Have you sealed the alternator wires hole and fitted a tube coming out of the breather hole which is next to the other?
greasemonkey62

alternator output

Post by greasemonkey62 »

No I didn`t seal the alternator wires hole, I didn`t think it could leak from there, but I have a few rubber grommets knocking about so I will see if one will fit there, and I will have to have a looksee for the breather hole you mention, not sure where you mean on that one.
Cheers Ray.
Eric

alternator output

Post by Eric »

Its a long time since I had my aluminium primary chaincase cover off, but I don't think there is a breather hole.

The hole for the alternator wires to go through should indeed have a grommet if for no other reason than to protect the wires.

The gearbox main shaft should have a sliding type of seal plate that allows the gearbox to be moved forward/backward to permit tensioning of the secondary drive chain.

There will be more than enough air gaps in and around these to allow breathing.

Oil level is important only enough for the extreme lower edge of the primary chain to occasionally dip in it while running, not running in it all of the time. As someone once said the chain should only just caress the oil not swim in it.Edited by - Eric on 17 Oct 2010 1:25:56 PM
wilko

alternator output

Post by wilko »

There's an exta original looking hole on mine which i attached a rubber hose to and directed it onto the rear chain.
greasemonkey62

alternator output

Post by greasemonkey62 »

I have not had time to check it yet, so it could be the hole for the wire or the gearbox main shaft, or perhaps the new paper gasket didnt seat properly.
As for the oil level I thought it should be up to the bottom inspection holes lower thread level?
paul knapp

alternator output

Post by paul knapp »

quote: I thought it should be up to the bottom inspection holes lower thread level

I recon thats your main cause of the oil dripping!

Rectify the level and give it another run, could save you having to remove the cover again.

If you find it's still weeping from the alternator cable exit, you could try putting a dob of auto silastic on a spatula (or your finger) and working it into the hole from the back of case. That will also save you having to dismantle the cover and wiring to fit a grommet.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

greasemonkey62

alternator output

Post by greasemonkey62 »

auto silastic ???? thats a new one on me is that a silicone paste?
legg

alternator output

Post by legg »

Maybe silastic is an Aussie term- makes sense to me! Automotive silicone sealant. Cheers.