Info needed on 1958 G3LS ignition barrel?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
rumpelstiltskin

Post by rumpelstiltskin »

The ignition key i was given with the bike is incredibly small,like a small padlock key!Key is made by 'Squire' and i fear for it's life everytime i turn the rather stiff ignition.Took the key to my local locksmiths (couldn't think of a better place to take it)and he said it looked like a home made job but 'might' have a blank for the key but would have to have a good hunt for it.He said failing that there should be a number stamped on the top of the barrel or one scribbled on the side,there is neither!.Anyone give me any info on the barrels of these bikes to give the locksmith something to go on?Thanks again!Edited by - rumpelstiltskin on 23 Aug 2010 11:23:19 AM
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

On a 1958 G3ls you should have the large combined ignition/light switch. The key is a flat blade, spade shaped piece of metal. There are no numbers or different types. JSL probabely sell them.
itma

Post by itma »

its going to be a steep learning curve into our world!!

forget the locksmith, they are not numbered anyway

this sounds like the standard "key", useful because if you lose the key you can still turn it on with a screwdriver! a lot of bikes didn't even have that, just a knob to turn, and mag equiped bikes have no key at all.

It was a different world back then, some of us are still reluctant to leave it......

If you are worried about security buy a bloody big bike lock.

rumpelstiltskin

Post by rumpelstiltskin »

Had a feeling a screwdriver was going to get mentioned!It's just that the key is so worn it turns a fair bit before the barrel starts to turn,i just want something that's a tighter fit(where have i heard that before??)I don't mind all these little idiosyncrosis,idiotsinkros,idio...problems!Just makes me like the bike more,i like a challenge!
itma

Post by itma »

look up the price of a replacement switch, & stick with the floppy thing, I have to
Eric

Post by Eric »

If you have any workshop skills and tools you can easily make one or the key cutter can do once he knows its just a flat blade and nothing else.

Its the sort of thing that if you told someone today about they would think you had gone mad.

Not much better than early bike ignition keys were keys for things like tractors, forklift trucks almost anything you can think of of that type made in Britain around 1965 to 1975 and using a Union brand key. It looked secure but they nearly all had the same number. I wont disclose it but even my MGB GT suffered from the same problem once you knew this it worked on almost any MG.

MG owners club made quite a nice little earner from selling new secure lock barrel sets for the cars.