Front Brake Rubbing

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
iandusud

Front Brake Rubbing

Post by iandusud »

I've just dismantled the seized up front brake on my project '55 G3LS. I've now got the brake cam opperating as it should, however when I fit the brake plate into the hub it would appear to go too far into the drum and the shoes rub against the hub. It's as if there a spacer missing, but as far as I can see from the parts list everything is there. The only thing that I can think of that could account for it would be massive bearing wear, but that seems unlikely, as it all seems well greased. I've yet to dismantle the bearings, when all might become clear but I just wondered if anyone has come across this before.

Ian
Don Madden

Front Brake Rubbing

Post by Don Madden »

The brake plate is positioned between the large nut behind & the spigoted outer nut. Adjust the large nut so that the outer edge of the brake plate aligns with the edge of the wheel & hold the brake lever tight while tightening the outer nut. This will centralize the brake shoes in the drum. Cheers, Don.
iandusud

Front Brake Rubbing

Post by iandusud »

Hi Don. I did wonder about that but couldn't find any reference to it in the manual. Is that the std procedure?

Ian
bjork

Front Brake Rubbing

Post by bjork »

quote:
Hi Don. Is that the std procedure?

Ian

Yep, it's not immediately obvious though, but that's the way to do it. There was another post on this topic very recently. I think ther e were pictures too.

Steve.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
iandusud

Front Brake Rubbing

Post by iandusud »

OK that's great.

Thanks, Ian