Acton Bike Shop 80's ?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
EPurdie61

Acton Bike Shop 80's ?

Post by EPurdie61 »

Giday all, hoping someone would be able to tell me if the AJS/Matchless shop in West London is still there ? I think it was called 'Russels'.
Also an old motorcycle bookstore in Acton, if anyone remembers or knows it....24 years since I was last in London so places may no longer be there !
I will over in the old country next March and would like to drop by and pick up a few bits and pieces for my recently aquired 57' G3LS.

Thanks

Eric
E Purdie
Flash

Acton Bike Shop 80's ?

Post by Flash »

Russels is still goiing strong its near Battersea but you can get all you require from jampot spares in Kettering without any hassle, you can even pick up some second hand spares.

Flash AKA TTJohn
petemark

Acton Bike Shop 80's ?

Post by petemark »

Hi
Russels are still in business, they are at Falcon road, battersea,SW11.
Sorry don't know the book store.
Regards
flyingdogboy
Deceased

Acton Bike Shop 80's ?

Post by flyingdogboy »

Russell Motors is still there. The address is as follows
125/127 Falcon Road
Battersea
London SW11 2PE
Tel: 0207-228-1714
Fax: 0207-924-4273

As you may or may not know they bought the factory stock when it closed.

Acton Bike Shop 80's ?

Post by 1608 »

I have always found Russell Motors very good ( JSL don't always have everything and often say " its on order but can't say when it will be in"). Russells have a good web site too.
DWS

Acton Bike Shop 80's ?

Post by DWS »

And of course don't forget AMC Classic Spares. Always helpful and friendly service.
www.amcclassicspares.com
Edited by - DWS on 13 Aug 2010 2:40:44 PM
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
itma

Acton Bike Shop 80's ?

Post by itma »

Acton is the other side of the river to Russells though and I think I know the shop you are referring to, long gone as are most other London bike shops dealing in older stuff. They have either moved out to the sticks, or work on line only or just got fed up and shut, which is what I did.

The book shop must have been POOKS motor bookshop? still going but has moved out also.

You will find London a vastly different place to the last time you were here, very thin pickings indeed for British Bikes.

To say nothing of the other shocks you are in for.

Stuoyb

Acton Bike Shop 80's ?

Post by Stuoyb »

It's good to see club members promoting the JSL competitors!
Surely as club members we have a vested interest in JSL and should work to promote it?
SPRIDDLER

Acton Bike Shop 80's ?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Stuart.
They are not competitors but an essential and invaluable part of the infrastructure, locating and supplying new and s/h parts as well as knowledge and experience. In some cases manufacturing low volume parts for JSL.
Since prices are more or less the same between all of them people make their purchasing decisions according to their own past experiences.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stuoyb

Acton Bike Shop 80's ?

Post by Stuoyb »

From what I can see the "competitors" offer many of the same parts as JSL. Agreed they are part of the infrastructure, but as previously stated, we (as club members) "own" JSL and should encourage people to use JSL as the first stop.
If you were a shareholder of Barclays would you encourage people to bank with HSBC? I think not.