ignition timing

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
laxy

ignition timing

Post by laxy »

AS 1608 says valve timing doesnt alter but if you are going to check anyway be aware that the dot on the small timing pinion is obscured by its stepped washer.The nut is usually tight and involves removing the clutch plates and locking the clutch with a home made tool constructed from an old plate in order to undo it
iandusud

ignition timing

Post by iandusud »

Out of interest why should the timing be set for the r/h cylinder and not l/h?

Ian
Malleon

ignition timing

Post by Malleon »

quote:
Out of interest why should the timing be set for the r/h cylinder and not l/h?

Ian

Probably because the right hand cylinder is 'leading', as on 2-cyl. steam locos.
Eric will know !!
Best regards.

ignition timing

Post by 1608 »

There are two lobes on the cam ring in the Mag. I BELIEVE that the Mag is 'timed' so that the lower of the two lobes relates to the r/h cylinder. It therefore follows that the top lobe relates to the l/h cylinder, but I don't see any reason why the proceedure for setting the timing can't be done by using top lobe and l/h cyl.
By the way, did you sort out the rough running ?
alanjennings

ignition timing

Post by alanjennings »

In my limited experience of mags. you can time the b====y things on either cam-but they are never the same no. of degrees! You have to compromise, like most things in life!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
wilko

ignition timing

Post by wilko »

While you have the timing cover off you can entertain yourself by watching the oil sneak out around the oil pump spindles! Although you might have to run your motor first with that cold spell over there.