ignition timing

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
greasemonkey62

ignition timing

Post by greasemonkey62 »

does anyone have the ignition timing setting for my 1961 AJS model 31 650cc twin please? I have 2 manuals , one by Roy Bacon and one by F Neil but this seems to be the only thing not stated in either.

Cheers Ray Foster, Sheffield.

ignition timing

Post by 1608 »

11/32" BTDC on the o/s cylinder, fully advanced. I'm surprised its not in either of your manuals!
Eric

ignition timing

Post by Eric »

Do you have magneto or coil ignition it maybe slightly different one from the other?

Just looked in my Niel book its the same for both but its there page 18 in my book.

For others its 3/8th for 500cc and 600cc twins 11/32" for 650 thats with the magneto or distributor points just opening
greasemonkey62

ignition timing

Post by greasemonkey62 »

quote:
Do you have magneto or coil ignition it maybe slightly different one from the other?

Just looked in my Niel book its the same for both but its there page 18 in my book.

For others its 3/8th for 500cc and 600cc twins 11/32" for 650 thats with the magneto or distributor points just opening

It has coil ignition thanks, I looked on page 18 in the F Neill book but no its not there, I have trawled both books several times and cant understand why its not in there, there are no pages missing, the F Neil book is for AJS and Matchless twin motorcycles between 1955 and 1965, page 18 just covers the removal of head/pistons/barrel etc in my book. But thanks for the info, it is very much appreciated, I havent had the bike long and it is starting to run a bit rough and the engine is vibrating more than usual, so I am going to check ignition and valve timing is all ok. All the engine bolts are tight etc etc.
Thanks again Ray.

ignition timing

Post by 1608 »

If its starting to run rough then theres nil wrong with the valve timing,valve timing doesn't alter.Unfortunately the symptoms of running rough could be all sorts of things, but probably something relatively simple. Start with the obvious, timing, points H/t and L/ Tension circuits, carburation etc.
Good luck
Duncan

ignition timing

Post by Duncan »

Ray, I think the red books are set out slightly differently to the period yellow ones, have a look at your page 20.

archives.jampot.dk/Book/Workshop_manuals/FW_NEILL_AJS_=M=_Twin_Motorcycles__1955-1965.pdf
greasemonkey62

ignition timing

Post by greasemonkey62 »

quote:
If its starting to run rough then theres nil wrong with the valve timing,valve timing doesn't alter.Unfortunately the symptoms of running rough could be all sorts of things, but probably something relatively simple. Start with the obvious, timing, points H/t and L/ Tension circuits, carburation etc.
Good luck
Thanks for that, much appreciated, I was only going to take off the valve timing cover to check all was ok in there as I have not had the bike long and as yet have not had it off.
Thanks again, Ray.
greasemonkey62

ignition timing

Post by greasemonkey62 »

quote:
Ray, I think the red books are set out slightly differently to the period yellow ones, have a look at your page 20.

archives.jampot.dk/Book/Workshop_manuals/FW_NEILL_AJS_=M=_Twin_Motorcycles__1955-1965.pdf

Gordon Bennet !!! yes you are right it is on page 20, how I missed it I don`t know, I have gone through the book 2 or 3 times and missed it each time, I must be going ga ga, now where did I put my co coa? Thanks again and sorry to have wasted your time.
Cheers Ray.
Eric

ignition timing

Post by Eric »

When you try to remove the timing cover always try to undo the one you would normally do last, first as its always the last one that you cannot undo.

If you dont already have one an impact scredriver is the very best tool you can use for those screws, and the ones on the primary chaincase.

Used properly it will not damage anything unlike your best efforts with a perfectly fitting screwdriver of the right size.

ignition timing

Post by 1608 »

Don't be tempted to over-tighten the timing cover screws.They are an ( unusuall for alluminium casings ) fine thread and have a lot of torque, so pull up very tight without much effort, you don't want to strip them. Done properly these timing covers very rarely leak.
Hope not teaching you to suck eggs.