Ammeter

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
laxy

Ammeter

Post by laxy »

my 1951 matchless single is wired neg. earth as standard but I believe pos. earth was the standard from 52 onwards.If its important to the owner the bikes are happy to run pos. or neg. earth but if your swapping polarity the dynamo needs flashing and the voltage regulator must be earthed the same polarity as the battery.At least the solid state ones do.Not sure about the mechanical ones.
mikeydpippin

Ammeter

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thought all was well after the ammeter being wired incorrectly.
Connected the tricklemate and sparks came from the Tricklemate push fit connection.
Disconnected straight away and went for a run tonight,on return no horn lights etc.
Something, i can only presume it was the Tricklemate caused the Positive wire from Battery to the frame to melt.
I have replaced this wire and now all electrics okay.
Strange!!!!
Mike
SPRIDDLER

Ammeter

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Something, i can only presume it was the Tricklemate caused the Positive wire from Battery to the frame to melt.

Is the Tricklemate pushfit Pos connected direct to the battery Pos or to the frame somewhere? If it's connected direct to the battery Pos the charge current shouldn't have been passing through the (melted) battery to frame wire at all. Only if it's connected to the frame somewhere would the charger current pass through the battery to frame wire. Either way I wouldn't have thought that the Tricklemate would deliver enough (trickle) current to melt the battery to frame wire.
a) You may have an intermittent short circuit of the bike wiring somewhere which would draw enough battery current to melt the wiring.
b) You have a DVR2 electronic regulator and have already swapped the battery leads over once, my life, which may have stuffed the regulator.
c) The polarity of the Tricklemate pushfit connector may be trying to deliver Neg volts to the battery Pos. That could certainly account for the sparking.

It's very odd that the ammeter only started working 'back to front' after merely fitting a new battery. If it used to work o.k. before fitting the new battery I suspect you have also twiddled something else.

I suggest that before you use the Tricklemate you fit a fuse mate.Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 05 Aug 2010 11:44:24 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
wilko

Ammeter

Post by wilko »

I have the answer, because this all happened to me years ago, but you wouldn;t believe me....
mikeydpippin

Ammeter

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Sprid,the Tricklemate was connected direct to the battery this cable in turn was connected to the frame.
DVR fuse intact,and Tricklemate over neighbours garden.
I have took her for a long run alls well,lights,horn and ammeter work fine.
Leaking oil from the top of push rod tube now, but thats another story.
I'll keep that one till wintertime.
Thanks to all.
Mike
Eric

Ammeter

Post by Eric »

wilko go on try us and I might tell you about a very weird problem that I had with electrics
wilko

Ammeter

Post by wilko »

Well a long time ago....I kept getting a discharge instead of a positive charge on my ammeter and if i reversed the connections it would go to the right when headlight was on instead of the other way, Anyway whatever configuration i used it wouldn't behave, so i pulled the genny and motored it and realised it was spinning in the wrong direction so i reversed the brush and field wires and away it went properly!Now remember before this, when i revved the motor it would increase on the scale but in reverse!Go figure!Maybe it was reverse charging the battery? Please explain? This is a convoluted explanation and i haven't had my sherry yet!
rex.webb

Ammeter

Post by rex.webb »

I see Vauxhall are "AHEAD " of the best now with ,
LIFETIME Gauarantee,
What a difference ,Wonder if that includs the Body.
Ride with Care and Live Long.
r w webb
GOLDSTAR

Ammeter

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Thats an interesting term Rex 'lifetime',! wonder what Vauxhalls's definition of a 'lifrtime'is? kind regards

Ammeter

Post by 1608 »

I think the ad says 100,000 miles warantee. I'd like to see the small print, and who keeps a car for that long these days anyway.