Dynamo Sprocket Puller

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tommy RE

Dynamo Sprocket Puller

Post by Tommy RE »

Anybody got any idea where I can get a claw type sprocket extractor to remove the dynamo drive sprocket and chain on a G3 1940WO. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room behind the sprocket where the chain goes round it and the dynamo chain is in one piece. The manual says 'Take away, as one assembly, the dynamo sprocket, dynamo chain and engine shock absorber assembly'.
wilko

Dynamo Sprocket Puller

Post by wilko »

Your friendly autobarn should have a cheapy that should do the job!
clive

Dynamo Sprocket Puller

Post by clive »

remeber to use it by tightening and then tapping the bolt. This shocks it off rather than getting it off with enormous pressure which may wreck the threads on a cheapo puller. Yes the voice of experience.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Dynamo Sprocket Puller

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ahem. Engineers look away now...
I have always loosened the dynamo sprocket nut a few turns, wedged a screwdriver end or piece of steel plate of appropriate thickness between the back of the sprocket and the end plate of the dynamo and given the dynamo sprocket nut ' a sharp tap'. The sprockets have always popped off a treat.
None I've done have ever needed the assistance of a puller - nor come undone when riding along
But if I had a puller I'd use it
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GOLDSTAR

Dynamo Sprocket Puller

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Sprids I'm with you on this, loosen the nut! wedge something behind the sprocket, sharp 'tap' [or big bash] with a copper hammer or drift and the sprocket will normally come loose, take it easy or you will lose the small woodruff key, kind regards
GOLDSTAR

Dynamo Sprocket Puller

Post by GOLDSTAR »

how did you get on with the sprocket Tommy?, mine has been on on off more times than a whores drawers this weekend with nary a puller in sight, kind regards
Tommy RE

Dynamo Sprocket Puller

Post by Tommy RE »

Thanks Gents for all your input, I have not tried the percussive therapy as I wanted to be a bit gentle, Popsie is after all 70 this year, but I did fabricate a puller to the dimensions shown (not pretty) but it worked