Tubeless tyres??? Front brake stay? 56 18s

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
redbloke1956

Post by redbloke1956 »

Hi all, I have couple of quick questions
1. Is it possible to fit tubeless tyres to these old beasts (56 18s)
2. When fixing the front brake stay to the fork leg does it go between the mudguard and the fork leg or does the guard get fitted to the studs first

Kevin
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

1. No. You would have to seal up all the spoke holes and fit a special valve. Why would you want to anyway? Tubeless tyres won't fit between the front mudguard stays Low profile)
2. brake stay between mudguard and forkleg.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Whether or not you can fit tubeless tyres depends on the profile of the rim. I have them fitted to my Honda because at the time I needed a new set I couldn't get tubed ones. Of course, you still need to put tubes in and should be aware that some tubed tyres are quite rough inside so can scuff the tubes.
armstrongdreadnought

Post by armstrongdreadnought »

2. brake stay between mudguard and forkleg.

Oops! Mine's wrong, then!
Confident, self assured-and wrong!
clive

Post by clive »

2. mine too, does ITMA have a view on this?Edited by - clive on 21 Jun 2010 9:19:23 PM
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

it probably fits a tad more securely if directly against the boss on the fork slider, however the mudguard stay will probably distort a little inward, in any case use copper grease when you fit it, by the way Clive back from Luc, 220 miles this morning bike never missed a beat, kind regards
redbloke1956

Post by redbloke1956 »

Thanks to all for responses re: tubeless tyres...how embarrasing never even thought about the spokes.

Clive and Mike: I am not convinced that your bikes are wrong: mine is fitted between the guard and fork leg and the guard is definitely slightly distorted a little towards the other fork leg, and I think this is what is causing the shroud on the fork leg (opposite side to brake)to rub against the guard when the forks compress.

regards
Kevin
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

It's not too embarassing about the spokes. My sons trials bike has tubeless tyres and spokes, it works by bonding in an inner seal in the form of a very large rim tape that covers the entire spoke area and includes a bonded in valve. I think this is standard fitment for all modern trials bikes. Of course these wheels are modern alloy, probably a better flat area to bond on the tape, and the rear is 18". The rim bead is also built to be suitable to seal a tubless tyre, but tubed tyres can be fitted as well (actually the rim doesn't look any different from a standard alloy so maybe there isn't a bead problem for an alloy wheel). I don't know if the edge bead problem could be solved for an old style steel rolled edge wheel, but as far as the spokes are concerned the same technology could be used.
Stan
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Front brake stay is a very important item and this has been discussed before (try a search).

The consensus is, i recall, that the stay should be up against the slider, this minimises leverage effects on the studs. That's the other point, they should be studs, not bolts, on the brake stay side.

Maybe the mudguard does end up angled a tad, but it's safer.

As for the tyres, why would tubleless be an improvement, it seems like a lot of trouble to go to.

Johnny B
ianselva

Post by ianselva »

I'm not at all convinced the stay should go between the mudguard and slider and thus distort the mudguard.
AMC used this type of stay and mudguard for so long ,don't you think they would have made the mudguard offset to fit?
I cant imagine them straining every mudguard on the assembly line to fit them.
Its probably much more important to have the correct studs instead of bolts in the slider. I discovered a couple of days ago that the previous owner had fitted Metric bolts to my bike ,when they nearly pulled out on Thursday.

Ian