Silencer Too Loud

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
DWS

Silencer Too Loud

Post by DWS »

OK, I just bought a new Silencer from Feked.com for my 1950 Model Rigid G3L and it is way too loud, has anyone else experienced this?

What's the best way to make it quieter, does the fitment of the 'Pepper Pot' in the pipe make a big difference and how does it fit?

I have thought of putting some sort of sound deadening material inside the silencer, when I was working at a BMW dealership we used to get such a material from Remus Exhausts to make Remus silencers quieter. Would this method work on a G3L and would it effect the performance?

Suggestions and comments please.
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
Don Madden

Silencer Too Loud

Post by Don Madden »

This is a frequent topic, please do a search. If your silencer is the original type, it would require the original type pipe, which had welded on cap at the end & holes or slots to allow gas flow. Few, if any, silencers today are made to the original AMC specification due to changes in regulations. Cheers, Don.
DWS

Silencer Too Loud

Post by DWS »

Hi Don

Thanks for the reply, I have done a search but what I found was plenty of suggestions as to what was done originally but there is very little feedback as to what works from people who have done the mods.

To clarify, my pipe is an aftermarket item of unknown make with an open end (no baffle) and the Silencer is a new item from Feked.com which has some baffle plates welded inside however, the position of these baffle plates quite close to the 'Inlet end' of the silencer means that only about 3 inches of the pipe will fit inside the silencer, allowing very little room for the pipe to be modified with holes or baffle etc.
Eric

Silencer Too Loud

Post by Eric »

If the pipe fits inside there is no reason why it cannot be modified to make it the same as the original that Don describes and you will find full details in the search.
itma

Silencer Too Loud

Post by itma »

Generally these after market silencers have no baffle at all.

Pepper potting the end is the normal remedy, but you may not have enough room from the sound of it.

You could rummage around ebay as there are baffles on sale that the custom types use; just bung them in the end. Years ago Triumphs and VW beetles used a corrugated gizmo that stuck in the tail pipe.

Best of all were the Burgess straight through absorbtion silencers whic gave a lovely mellow exhaust note. The guts of these was a perforated pipe surrounded by glass fibre wool or the like.
Funnily enough I have been staring down one today wondering how I could fake one up.
Tell us more about the stuff you used.[unless its BMW fantasy prices]

anyway bike noise is good noise

Edited by - itma on 05 Jun 2010 10:17:37 PM
DWS

Silencer Too Loud

Post by DWS »

I'll get the gen on the Remus stuff, may even give it a go see what happens.

I was riding around the Worth Valley today (Bronte country), very nice with quaint villages and railway stations but was very aware that the exhaust note was really noticeable as it bounced off all the dry stone walls and cottages when climbing some of the inclines in the villages. I'm sure a saw a few frowns from locals as I passed through
jackstringer

Silencer Too Loud

Post by jackstringer »

Well you could take a dB buster that they fit to road race bikes so that you can use them at track days. Just goes into the end of the exhaust pipe.

I assume the packing you are talking about it just exhaust packing that you can by from off road bike shops or from race shops.

Jack
DWS

Silencer Too Loud

Post by DWS »

Hi Jack

I guess the packing is the same sort of stuff.Edited by - DWS on 05 Jun 2010 10:37:39 PM
jackstringer

Silencer Too Loud

Post by jackstringer »

Fibreglass ish stuff, with out the resin.

The exhaust packing stuff is all quite similar but you get what you pay for.

I can't see much of a chance to fit the packing in unless you can make a baffle to slot in.

I think a dB buster is the best option as it is only just a small hole that you need to drill to fit the securing bolt. I might have one, if I find it I will measure it and report back the size.

Jack
itma

Silencer Too Loud

Post by itma »

Or the period solution I just remembered was a brillo pad or two stuffed in.....