G3 Clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
petemark

G3 Clutch

Post by petemark »

Hi Guys, I obtained a very nice G3 during the winter, only just started using it now the weather is improving, my problem is with the clutch, occasionaly whilst kick starting it the engine doesn't turn over it seems the clutch is slipping but no sign of a slipping clutch whilst riding & cannot provoke it to slip, also clutch doesn't bite on take off until lever is almost fully home, Iv'e adjusted the pushrod according to the manual and even with 1/4" of slack in the cable it still won't engage untill the lever is fully home, I'm thinking worn plates or weak springs, but before I strip it down I would value any observations from fellow members.
Thank you
Petemark
Eric

G3 Clutch

Post by Eric »

What year is the G3? It could have a Burman or AMC clutch dependant upon this.
GOLDSTAR

G3 Clutch

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I have an anomally with the clutch on my machine, originally it was an AMC clutch on a Burman main shaft, the action was unbelievably light and engagenment about halfway in but with very little play when the lever was fully released, the same clutch now on an AMC box is conpletely different inso far as the take up does'nt happen until right at the end of the clutch lever travel if I set it so the clutch is fully engaged at mid way on the lever then the rest is just slack cable, I'm sure it's down to a different actuation of the push rod, it's irritating for us with small pandys, ca'nt yet think of how to circumvent it anyone any idea's? kind regards
petemark

G3 Clutch

Post by petemark »

petemark

G3 Clutch

Post by petemark »

Hi all, it's a 1961 G3 with the amc gearbox great gearchange with accurate selection it's rideable but unlike any other amc bike I have owned, it sounds identicle to your bike goldstar, I will strip it this coming weekend and see if it is anything obvious, if not I can live with it. Many thanks
mikeydpippin

G3 Clutch

Post by mikeydpippin »

Pete,This sounds like the symptons i have but have lived with it on starting.I have used ATF in the chaincase which seems to have cured the clutch slip.see,
http://www.ajs-matchless.com/topic.asp? ... Title=Help
Hope this helps,
Mike
Stan Palmer

G3 Clutch

Post by Stan Palmer »

My 1953 350 also has a tendency to slip the clutch when kickstarting, even when it has been eased over compression. I find it is at it's worst when somebody is watching. It has new clutch plates and springs. The only thing I did wrong was to put 'engine oil' in the chaincase as recommended in the book, I thought this meant 50 oil, it seems that light oil is better.
I took it to bits today to put a 21 tooth sprocket on. The plates look fine, hardly any oil on them, a bit of glazing that I took off with sandpaper. I found a second method of adjusting the springs in the AMC manual: screw all the way in and back-out 4 turns. This gives about 1 turn more compression than the Neal method of flush with the stud ends.
Can't try it yet, both the dynamo and front chain need half links to match the larger sprocket, I am waiting for those now. I will use a light grade oil on reassembly, pity because the chaincase didn't leak with 50 oil but probably will with 10 or 20 grade.
Stan
GOLDSTAR

G3 Clutch

Post by GOLDSTAR »

my clutch does'nt slip at all it works perfectly but only at the end of it's travel, I also ease it over compression then it normally, providing I have set the ignition right, starts immediately, one has to understand no British single will start when others are watching, the most notorious, the king of all non starters the mighty VELOCETTE god I do love them, will only start when you ask all onlookers to turn away then the bloody things will fire up instantly, I have learnt if you can start your Velocette, nothing is beyond you, as Buzz Lightyear says. ' to the stars', sorry nothing sensible to say about the clutch problem just felt like getting the starting problems off my chest, kind regards
Eric

G3 Clutch

Post by Eric »

Stan let us know how well you get on with the 21 tooth engine sprocket? My prediction is you will soon change back to standard, even quicker if you have a pillion passenger.
ajscomboman

G3 Clutch

Post by ajscomboman »

Buzz Lightyear actually says " to Infinity and beyond!". Don't ask how I know just take it as gospel.