Check your front brake anchor arm.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
CAB

Post by CAB »

Hello
The front brake anchor arm on my G12 CSR failed at the weekend and threw me off. Luckily it happened at low speed and I could get up and walk away from it.
It's worth checking the condition of the arm on your bike to avoid a very nasty accident....
CAB
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

this has been stated before, I also recall a member suffering injury when it was'nt the brake anchor which failed but the lower fork tube became fractured then was pulled apart by it, unless it's an emergency I tend to steady on the rear one, Kind regards
laxy

Post by laxy »

cab are you saying the stay itself fractured or was it the bolt securing the stay to the brake plate that failed?
this bolt is not just a common or garden bolt and must have the special shakeproof washer fitted.
Ive seen no end of these bolts fitted without this washer.
atreyu

Post by atreyu »

I've replaced 'that' bolt but there wasnt a washer before! Wont a spring washer or internal lock washer suffice?
David
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

quote:
cab are you saying the stay itself fractured or was it the bolt securing the stay to the brake plate that failed?
this bolt is not just a common or garden bolt and must have the special shakeproof washer fitted.
Ive seen no end of these bolts fitted without this washer.

The stay design was modified in order to avoid fractures occurring around the bolt hole; was yours one of the original design? Where did the stay fracture?
Incidentally, my '58 G11 had a substantial copper washer under the bolt head when I bought it in 1959, and is still there today. Have I been lucky, or what?
'Stay' safe!
itma

Post by itma »

there should be NO washer under the bolt but emphatically it should be the correct bolt, not some replacement from an autojumble stall or the one you coldnt find anywhere else for it to go.
It should also be the later modified type with the enlarged end around the bolt.
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

Two years ago, I had an accident caused by a broken bolt (as Goldstar mentioned, the slider
was broken by the break cam of the locked anchor plate). The reason: the bolt was
not tight in the hole for about one year or more, after pulling the bike back out of the
shed and holding it with the front break, the bolt moved a bit in the hole and the first
normal use of the break caused a rattle, after that all was normal. So I ignored the effect,
but the bolt was weakened and it broke suddenly (I didn's actuate the brake in that moment).
The screw joint is stressed by shearing, it is essential that the bolt has a zero backlash
fit in the hole.
Ludwig
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Matchless Spares List for 1959, Page 62, under 'Front Brake' heading, quotes:-
014119 ... Washer, anchor stay bolt......1
for all models except G3C.
Illustration on Page 57 shows a shake-proof washer, Part No. 014779
Do these refer to the same item, with one of the common typographic errors perpetrated by Plumstead ??
REW

Post by REW »

Andrew Engineering list a pack of 5 shakeproof washers under part num 014119. I am not clear what they look like - are they spring washers and if so what pattern - any one know?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
itma

Post by itma »

26 tpi thread about 3/4 in of it and on a bolt not a set screw will ensure it does not come loose;
thats what 26 tpi is for.
and why there are no shake proof washers fitted when it was new on engine bolts etc.

I don't know what the down under obscession with parts lists is all about but they are not Holy Writ and are a guide only.
the rear hub fiasco is one proof of this.

https://www.jampot.com/article_re ... =249Edited by - itma on 22 Apr 2010 1:08:07 PM

and some more good advice from biscuit in the past

Posted - 17 May 2008 : 10:42:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This isn't a recommendation, but I don't use any washer here, special or unspecial. Just do it up tight and check it every other full moon.

Neglecting maintenance, surely there's the nub.

and

Posted - 17 May 2008 : 11:22:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is something that is more important than 'special' washers and magic potions - that is the fit of the bolt in the stay, this needs to be a good fit with absolutely no shake. That's why I always make my own bolts.

Edited by - itma on 22 Apr 2010 1:14:58 PM