Leaky rattley ' 53 16ms

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Cha581

Leaky rattley ' 53 16ms

Post by Cha581 »

Can I have some help please…

I have just read the “official” manual for the bike ( reprint for the originals) as I am trying to find the answer to 2 questions..

I have some oil leaking from somewhere above the spark plug hole, it sits on the fins above these, I have checked and tightened anything I can think of but there is still a weep, should I worry?

The other thing is that I took her on a glorious run the other day, probably the longest single run I have done on her, about 30 miles or so, It highlighted the above problem and another, I had just topped the oil up in the primary clain chase to what the book says, when really warm there was a dull rattle coming from that side, any ideas? Should I worry,

Want to get whatever needs doing this week end as going on my first section meet Monday and want to take het along.

Cheers all.
itma

Leaky rattley ' 53 16ms

Post by itma »

rocker feed union into the rocker box, valve lifter spindle. dud or badly fitted rockerbox gasket.

rattle is possibly clutch plates, won't hurt.
or loose chain, either of them in there.
Cha581

Leaky rattley ' 53 16ms

Post by Cha581 »

Thank you
clive

Leaky rattley ' 53 16ms

Post by clive »

Apart from checking primary chain and dynamo chain tension as suggested by Itma, also given that you just topped up the chaincase oil make sure that the bar on the inside of the inspection cover has not rotated as you tightened it up. Its a bit of a technique to make sure you hold it under tension as you do it up so it does not move. If in the wrong position it can rub on the chain but usually it sounds straight away not just as the engine warms up.
PS don't worry about oil leak "they all do that sir!"Edited by - clive on 08 Apr 2010 9:49:29 PMEdited by - clive on 08 Apr 2010 9:50:23 PM
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Charles

Leaky rattley ' 53 16ms

Post by Charles »

On a G80, I had the same top end oil leak problem which was not fixed until I had the rocker box base set on a linisher for a couple of seconds after finding that it rocked 3mm on a proper flat plate. Of course, sorting that top end leak merely removed the camouflage from all those hithereto undiscovered leaks lower down.....