Main bearing manufactures

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
ejpoole

Post by ejpoole »

Can anyone recommend a main bearing manufacture, I’m about to replace them in my 61 G3, the existing bearings are SKF however SKF no longer make imperial bearings, I contacted my local bearing factor and he can supply the larger of the two bearings in an RHP at a cost of £36.00 and the smaller of the two made by R&M £17.25.
I then called AMC Classics and I think they sell a Chinese made bearing (considerably cheeper), does anyone know what make of bearing the Club sells, I phoned them today but their computers are down and couldn’t help..!!
Cheers
Ted
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Hi Ted, good to notice your ' up and about again'
I do'nt know where to send your for your new bearings, but would just say
'do'nt skimp'!
if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing well, that way you wo'nt have to do it twice, big end pin and rollers for a Velo £150, I was quoted some few years ago, kind regards
ejpoole

Post by ejpoole »

Hi Goldstar, had a few health issues in the family so shelved the G3 project, however wifie is convalescing at home now and my workshop is attached to the house so I’m only a shout away if she needs me, an ideal opportunity to tinker again.
Hope to have the bottom end rebuilt his weekend, and time permitting the remainder of the engine finished within a few weeks.
Cheers
Ted
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php

Would these people be able to help.
Regards
Merlin
Chemists do it with test tubes
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

good to hear the wifes a little better Ted, ggod luck with the rebuild, kind regards