1958 16MS

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Brad

1958 16MS

Post by Brad »

Have been out for a ride today which ended up shorter than planned. All running well until it just cut out while travelling at about 45mph. No unusual noises, kicked over fine, fuel ok, plug ok, but no go.
Burnt a few calories kicking it over and scratching my head when I noticed I was getting no discharge on the ammeter.
Got a "fire" out of it on EMG setting, and it started shortly after on the normal setting and I just made it home before it died again.
Once again I noticed no discharge on the ammeter.
Any advice on which electrical component to look at would be appreciated. (Battery good, lights and horn all working fine)
Thanks
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)

1958 16MS

Post by 1608 »

condensor
Don Madden

1958 16MS

Post by Don Madden »

If it started & ran on the EMG position but showed no discharge in the ON postition, it sounds like a battery or charging problem. In the EMG position the two alternator AC circuits are combined for maximum output & the battery is disconnected. I suspect a dud battery or lighting switch making poor contact. Wiring/connector faults could also cause this. Cheers, Don.
harrison140

1958 16MS

Post by harrison140 »

Hi got the same problem on my 58 16ms and it was traced to the switch . When it cut out as i was riding i could throw the switch to the emergency position and she would fire up again , then after a few seconds running i could throw the switch back to normal and all would be fine for a while . Dismantled the switch and cleaned the contacts , all now ok .
barry crosby
Brad

1958 16MS

Post by Brad »

Thanks for your help guys. I'll make some checks when the opportunity arises.
Brad

1958 16MS

Post by Brad »

Problem solved, found a wire that had come loose at the switch.
Running fine again now.