Stop light

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
bunners

Stop light

Post by bunners »

I am building what some would call a "mongrel" I prefer to use the Portugese term "Mulato" which means of mixed race. the question is, if I go for a daylight only MOT ie no lights, is a stop light still required? the bike a 1957 G3Ls, is built around a frame and crank cases the numbers of which tie up with a green log book I aquired with them. Original reg number is still available.Edited by - bunners on 20 Mar 2010 10:16:43 AM
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.

Stop light

Post by 1608 »

I've never heard of a 'day-light' MOT, is there such a thing.? All road vehs have always required obligatory lights ( side lights)fore and aft.You cannot always predict that you will not need lights ie. its an offence not to show lights in inclemment weather etc.With regards to brake lights, these were not always fitted as standard, and offered as optional extras.Not sure when they became an obligatory fixture by manufactrers.The geneal rule is that if 'it' is fitted then it mustwork.If the model was not fitted with it as standard then you needn't fit it. So,hand signals will be required.. As with most of our old bikes not having indicators, our using hand sinals are often ignored or misinterperated!! or claimed not to have been seen etc. You can leave yourself open to allegations of careless driving etc.
Sorry , first line should read Motor vehicles.Edited by - 1608 on 20 Mar 2010 11:21:30 AM
pto

Stop light

Post by pto »

In order to get a daylight MOT, NO Lights must be fitted, Permanently disconnected , Painted or masked over. A motorcycle may also not require a stoplight if: Cannot exceed 25mph. First used before January 1936. First used before April 1986 with an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc, Good luck. most MOT Testers have trouble understanding this
orbinrangle

Stop light

Post by orbinrangle »

Previous threads have indicated that you must have a stop light working on the rear brake of the machine irrespective of it's age. This is easily done.
There is a point at which the stop light must work on both brakes but the chosen year is later than your machine.
Daytime MOTs are available John, but they do mean you can't use the bike in poor light or visibility or at night. Check with your local VOSA office to see if you need a brake light. I'd be surprised if you didn't, but who knows......
R J Rawle
GOLDSTAR

Stop light

Post by GOLDSTAR »

The problem with a daylight MOT exam is that if any light is fitted as a previous deponant states, it must be working correctly or completely masked over, I queried the requirement re the brake lights of my local MOT approved m/cycle tester, and he reiterated this fact which meant if the brake light was fitted he would expect the lights to be working this included obligatory lighting, once again it appears the legislators do not knowtheir arses from their elbows because you require one when the vehicle is being used on a road under con & use I believe it is I had my machine tested obtained a daylight MOT then fitted the brake light, problem solved. kind regards
SeriesII

Stop light

Post by SeriesII »

Quote by 1608 As with most of our old bikes not having indicators, our using hand sinals are often ignored or misinterperated!!

I have followed cars fitted with indicators for miles making numerous manouvers and they havn't used their indicators once. I think hand signals are better than non at all.
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
ianselva

Stop light

Post by ianselva »

quote:
I am building what some would call a "mongrel" I prefer to use the Portugese term "Mulato" which means of mixed race. the question is, if I go for a daylight only MOT ie no lights, is a stop light still required? the bike a 1957 G3Ls, is built around a frame and crank cases the numbers of which tie up with a green log book I aquired with them. Original reg number is still available.Edited by - bunners on 20 Mar 2010 10:16:43 AM

I asked my MOT man and he just said No lights means no lights - not even a stoplight. However I would refit the stop light after the test.

Ian
SPRIDDLER

Stop light

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yeah, a stop light is handy on our old clunkers to indicate that you're trying to slow down, otherwise no-one would realise
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bob

Stop light

Post by bob »

Last year my bike had no lights at all . and had an advisory note attached to the MOT to say no lights .
This year I have fitted a headlamp and a rear light on the bike , but the lens area on the headlamp is painted over silver and has no bulb , the rear light houses a stop light ( LED ) only .
No problem with my MOT this year , in fact the same tester commented that he did'nt know how I was brave enought ( actually he said daft not brave ) to ride without a stop light , previously .
and I did'nt get the advisory .
pkr87

Stop light

Post by pkr87 »

My trials AJS has never had any lights at all,normally the testers have issued a" daylight use only"certificate.This year my tester said that I should have a reflector fitted so he glued a £1 reflector on the rear mudguard and issued a certificate.Job done.I test cars and can issue a "daylight use only" certificate without a reflector.The last time I did this was for a 1908 Panhard,we don't get too many of them in the workshop so it is not much of a problem.In days of old when we had to ride in the dark we tied a bicycle lamp to the handle bars and rode home by moonlight,I don't think the boys in blue would like that much now,come to that I am not too sure that I would enjoy it.Paul