Tyre pressures - Any advice

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

I set my pressures as per the book and then experiment with the pressures until the bike feels stable and handles OK.Just another excuse to take it up' the road' again.I have heard of a couple of nasty accidents with heavy cars on old tyres that have come apart when the car has been driven far and fast.By that I mean on autobahns(is that the way to spell it?)Under normal motoring conditions old tyres are ok if they are not perished and have not been abused in any way.Anything over 10 years old is pushing it a bit.If any cracks are visible within the base of the tread,bin it.Paul
mhsilverw

Post by mhsilverw »

Hi,

Thanks for this - I will look to use something along the recommended lines in this 'thread' of "...18 psi front 22 psi rear with an added 6 to 8 psi..." {in my case it might be like rider and pillion with just me on the bike...too many pies .

Mark
56G80S

Re: Tyre pressures - Any advice

Post by 56G80S »

I'm tagging onto the end of this thread so as not to increase the number of threads on the same topic.

Solo, I run the Avon Roadriders at 26 f/ 28r. Lower and it's not so secure. This is a tad lower than the Yamaha which I also put on Roadriders but was a bit heavier.

Loaded up for the run to Salisbury I plan to go to 28 f/ 32 r. Any thoughts?

|I believe that my failure to adjust tyre pressures on the run to the Stirling Jampot was a contributory factor to my "off" at Carter Bar. Ignoring the severe weather warning and guidance to avoid high level routes because of the wind was the main thing, though.

Johnny B
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

56G80S wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:41 pm I'm tagging onto the end of this thread so as not to increase the number of threads on the same topic.

Solo, I run the Avon Roadriders at 26 f/ 28r. Lower and it's not so secure. This is a tad lower than the Yamaha which I also put on Roadriders but was a bit heavier.

Loaded up for the run to Salisbury I plan to go to 28 f/ 32 r. Any thoughts?

|I believe that my failure to adjust tyre pressures on the run to the Stirling Jampot was a contributory factor to my "off" at Carter Bar. Ignoring the severe weather warning and guidance to avoid high level routes because of the wind was the main thing, though.

Johnny B
i fitted road riders to my M31 for the IJR this year and initially put in 26f 30r. I found running them at 30f 36r was a little better.
It's all just riding motorbikes
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Forgot to say that although I was never heavy, my weight is down and I am currently probably only about 11st 7lbs, maybe a tad more.

Eric's approach seems sensible but I would say that I failed to reduce the pressures after the heavily loaded run to the Jampot. My riding, unloaded, solo, seemed if anything more secure than before!

Johnny B
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

I run my rigid framed 18 about 20 front and 22 rear hoping to get some slight cushioning effect from slightly softer tyres. Doesn't seem to make much difference.