Pushrod Length

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
rainmanshaun

Pushrod Length

Post by rainmanshaun »

I have searched the forums for previous threads on this one but haven't found an answer to the following problem: My 57 G3LS has had a 500 barrel and piston fitted and has an alloy head from an earlier model which requires the use of the longer pushrod tubes. I have re-fitted the barrel and head. I then had a closer look at the aluminium pushrods that were fitted and found that they have been shortened in a bit of a bodgy way and the steel end at the bottom of one of them is loose. I then compared the length to the ones that I got as spares with the bike and found that the spare ones were quite a bit longer and too long to fit my set up. The ones fitted to the engine are 9" long from the bottom of the steel ball end to the top of the top steel sleeve where the threaded portion of the tappet adjuster screws in. Does anybody know if there is information available for the various pushrod lengths that were fitted to the engines through the years??
Rainmanshaun

Pushrod Length

Post by 1608 »

Doesn't look like anybody is sticking their neck out on this one Shaun.If I read your question correctly I would assume that the push rods for a 500 should be ok as they will have the longer reach.You will need to checkon the difference,if any, btn the amount of cam lift btn the G3 and 500.Looking at the spares cat it would appear that p/rods for both engines have the same part No.To make sure I would assemble engine DRY using the 500 rods and check the valve head to piston clearance.
Hope this is of some help, but with such a mix of parts,You mention an 'early head' ! it really is down to physical comparisons.
rainmanshaun

Pushrod Length

Post by rainmanshaun »

Thanks for that John and yes it seems after a bit of research that the length of the modified pushrods fitted to my engine match a G80CS which makes no sense at all. I think I have two options 1. repair the loose end on the existing rod or 2. convert the engine back to its original 350 form with all the standard parts
Rainmanshaun