Twin internal oil filter

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Eric

Twin internal oil filter

Post by Eric »

I guess what we need is a picture of the filter that is probably in there to get a better idea of how forceful and upon what ianselva can pull. One thing is certain its got to come out one way or another even if it means splitting the crankcase. This is the one I have on my bike but its not much help for this problem. Click here to see filterEdited by - Eric on 27 Feb 2010 08:59:33 AM
ianselva

Twin internal oil filter

Post by ianselva »

I'm just going from an illustration in a copy of the official 55 AJS model 20 parts list.
I'll try pulling it out with a couple of spokes this morning or take a pic of what I can see.
GSAX1

Twin internal oil filter

Post by GSAX1 »

Eric: The link you supply is for the later type filter.

The '55 had a filter like this: http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

Go to page 18 in the manual, it's the left illustration.

The filter can be pushed out from the other side. Take off the timing cover. Remove oil pressure relief plunger. Inside the hole you see the bottom of the filter. Push it out.

MichaelEdited by - GSAX1 on 27 Feb 2010 09:58:34 AM
ianselva

Twin internal oil filter

Post by ianselva »

Thanks
That was what it seemed to be like, I'll take the timing case off and try from that end.

Cheers

Ian
Eric

Twin internal oil filter

Post by Eric »

Micheal's method is probably the safest way to do it trying to pull it out may swell it in some way and make things worse, but then the best of both would be to push and pull. However from the picture in the manual the hole you can see is only in the end cap of the filter in the ideal world the pulling needs to go beyond that to engage in the inner mesh of the filter itself how you can be sure of doing that I don't know. I guess if you pull the end cap out first the next step is the filter so that maybe the answer.

Its clear AMC did learn from mistakes and made the thing into a one piece device its just a pity it doesn't actually filter the oil except for house bricks.

Micheal I know the picture I gave the link to was for the later bike its all I could find to make some sort of contribution.Edited by - Eric on 27 Feb 2010 10:17:16 AM

Twin internal oil filter

Post by 1608 »

quote:
I guess what we need is a picture of the filter that is probably in there to get a better idea of how forceful and upon what ianselva can pull. One thing is certain its got to come out one way or another even if it means splitting the crankcase. This is the one I have on my bike but its not much help for this problem. Click here to see filterEdited by - Eric on 27 Feb 2010 08:59:33 AM

Great picture.I have just checked the filtre on my newly acquired 1960 G12.The filtre is exactly the same but the felt was so compacted that even after a soaking in petrol it was extremely difficult to pass air through it,it looks v/old. its a wonder it worked at all.I have removed the felt and it only has one grade of mesh.I stitched some new felt back and will check it regularly.Sorry this doesn't help with the current problem though.

Twin internal oil filter

Post by 1608 »

Just a thought.As stated above, pushing might cause the mesh to bulge and therefore make things worse.The best I can suggest is that a gentle pus and somehow pull, but the pulling should be made from as near to the end as possible to prevent the bulging effect
ianselva

Twin internal oil filter

Post by ianselva »

I've managed to get the filter and drive side cap out but not yet the timing side one.
I thought while it was out ,I'd tap the drive side cap so I can pull it out easily in future. Anybody think that NOT a good idea ?

Thanks for your help so far. What a lot I'm learning about AMC twins in a short while. I used to belong to the club back in the 70s in Bournemouth and have always found club members helpful ,but of course we didn't have the internet then and so there wasn't access to such a wide group of members.
ianselva

Twin internal oil filter

Post by ianselva »

Right, I now find that the timing side end cap is totally missing,so I'll have to get one from JSL.

Cheers
Ian
Eric

Twin internal oil filter

Post by Eric »

ianselva for what use the internal filter is you may just as well leave it out completly. It seems there is a felt return filter in the oil tank anyway, and you could add a modern one in the return pipe, there are several people who have written about this have a search through the forum. With a little more difficulty (quite a lot really) it is possible to include a modern filter after the pump but before the engine, search around for this also.