Exhaust's

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
atreyu

Exhaust's

Post by atreyu »

I've just got some new downpipes from feked for my G9. Being a nice aftermarket product they don’t fit, cant say I’m surprised.

Anyway they will be ok if i can bend them up at the back slightly, I've tried to heat up a unseen part of the pipe and it seems if your VERY careful and only get the pipe a dull red then it doesn’t effect the chrome apart from blue-ing up.

Can anyone confirm it will be ok to do so carefully? I'd rather not have to get them re-chromed!!
David
Eric

Exhaust's

Post by Eric »

Why not send them back if you are sure its the pipes that are wrong? If they are never told they don't fit then they will keep making them as they are now thinking quite honestly to themselves that everything is OK and they fit.

If nothing else they have the equipment to alter them as required.

I am on my way down to garage now to check I thought the pipes were basically straight after the main bend down to the horizontal.
Eric

Exhaust's

Post by Eric »

David how well do they fit at the fixing point at the front?Edited by - Eric on 14 Feb 2010 5:31:35 PM
atreyu

Exhaust's

Post by atreyu »

Eric, Don’t worry I will be telling them. However I didn’t think there was any alternative apart from pay for some bending? I’m happy to keep them if I can tweek them slightly.

It would seem the main bend isn't tight enough, as after that they’re straight, but the silencers, if fitted would be pointing downwards, So more of a curve is needed.

The front fixing point is quite far out but as I don’t have a spacer/bracket so I was just going to make something to suit, am I correct in thinking the exhausts should go into the head as far as the "step" in the exhaust port? If so then I'll have to give them a good cleaning out in order for the pipe to go that far into the head.
David
Samuel

Exhaust's

Post by Samuel »

There is an alternative. Get Feked to make them the correct shape and with fittings that line up!
Sam
Eric

Exhaust's

Post by Eric »

The spacers you require are available from JSL there are several different lengths different bikes different years, but your parts book should list the right ones.

The pipe should go into the head up to the shoulder there is no gasket it relies upon a good fit. If this was not the case with the old pipes, the previous owner may have used some form of exhaust cement and that's clogging things up. They wont fall in nor should they a soft mallet and ample rag for protection helps to persuade the pipe home, same but in reverse to remove.

When you get the pipe fully into the head correctly you may find the fit is better than you think, its also possible to tweak it a bit as you have quite a leverage on the end of the pipe don't overdo it though I would hate to think I maybe responsible for you breaking your cylinder head apart.
bjork

Exhaust's

Post by bjork »

Hi David, if you ever get a dull moment, do a search for exhausts/armours etc, there has been quite a bit about it, and all the makers seem to be as good as each other regarding fit. The last pair I bought new (also from Feked) had a similar challenge to yours. Eventually, after speaking to Les Emery at Norvil, he told me how they were 'all like that from new' and described the antics at the various factories to fit original (mainly Norton) pipes.
So, I went home and having fixed the front ends in place, inserted an old fork leg and a bit of scaffold pipe to give maximum leverage. Then, they went right where I wanted them! They creaked and groaned but the chrome didn't damage (all cold) No ill effects after 12,000 odd miles either.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
cycletoys

Exhaust's

Post by cycletoys »

Good luck with Feked. On mine, the front lower stud of their new pipe was two inches off from where it should have been. Gordon told me that my frame must have been modified, which is or was one of the standard excuses from Armours. They refused to take it back, and said it was the only pipe they offered for that model. It's sometimes difficult dealing with a vendor when one lives so far away from them.
itma

Exhaust's

Post by itma »

Feked/Armours the same firm to all intents, certainly what Feked sell are Armour products.
The sales technique must have rubbed off as well.
paul knapp

Exhaust's

Post by paul knapp »

G'day David, to answer your question by what I have observed, ...Yes, it's possible to re-align your pipe up by using heat, as you have described, and to have no obvious detramental effect on the chrome finish. Any dulling can be eased off by polish. Before you apply the heat, ensure there is no oil or finger prints on the chrome, which will burn in and dull the finish.
I wouldn't be using the head rebate to hold the end of the pipe while you do the pulling at the other end, instead turn up a plug that is a firm fit into the pipe end which can also be held in your bench vice.
I have heard several sad tales from fellow members here of buying English made pipes that don't fit or of lugs in the wrong position!
This business here,
http://redline-exhausts.com.au/
have made my pipes and silencers and they fit perfect. Terry bent up a pipe for my latest project last week with 4 bends using his jig, and it fitted spot on, first time. He told me he is getting more and more enquiries and manufacturing more pipes now for the over seas markets (particularly U.S.A.) as there is apparently a lack of expertise in this field.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!