1961 G12 CSR Centre Stand

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
CAB

Post by CAB »

Hello
My G12 CSR is really hard to get on the centre stand. The feet on the stand seem to have extension blocks. The extensions seem original and it looks like some of the CSRs in Roy Bacon's book have this feature.
I will probably shorten the stand. I intend to work out how much needs to come off by putting the front and rear wheels on some plywood and increasing the thickness until it goes on to the stand more easily. I will then take this thickness off the extension blocks.
Is this common or do I have the wrong stand?
Thanks
CAB
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Christopher, I believe that the CS models with 21” front wheels had the stand feet extensions as did the later 1964 on Norton equipped models, what page numbers are you looking at to compare with?

If the extensions are factory fitted it may be an idea to see if you can swap it with some one who has an ordinary one as I believe the factory extended ones are less common and may be appreciated by one of the CS boys.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The competition bikes, due to 21in front wheel & larger, knobbly rear tires had 3/4in extensions welded on the feet. The 1963 & later CS models, with the extended travel forks had extensions about double that length.

The CSR models also had the 3/4in extensions, so which stand do you have? More problematic with all the center stands is the warpage and/or wear of the stops which are not well joined to the frame rails. They are brazed to small plates, which are brazed to the rails & the plates bend allowing the stand to go too far over center.

Also, AMC/Girling competition rear suspension units are 1/2in longer than touring. The shorter ones will require lifting the bike more to get it on the stand.

Cheers, Don.
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Post by Rick.Edwards »

Dont cut down these feet, follow advice and swap,any unbutchered stand is rare and you'll easily be able to swap . Try an advert in the Jampot.
The piston ring King
CAB

Post by CAB »

Hello Gents
Thanks for the replies. I think I have the 3/4" extensions. I'll have to get my dad to measure them as the bike is kept at his place. I didn't know that the competition damper units are longer. Were these fitted to all CSRs or only if specified? What is the length of these units with bike off the stand but unloaded?
It's possible that the touring ones have been fitted to my bike by the previous owner. I will find a 1/2" thick piece of wood and put it under the rear wheel and see if it is any easier to get on the centre stand. I suppose the suspension ratio is near 1:1? At least this would be a start. At the moment it takes two of us to get it safely on the centre stand.
CAB
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Touring units are 12in long, comp are 12-1/2in. I cannot say about all years but the longer ones were fitted to all CS, CSR in 1960-62.

The forks on USA version are the same as the G80CS but home market G12CSR had the same crown & stem as touring as well as the touring tank with the same inner tube, damper & springs as G80CS.

USA CSR had quick disconnect headlamp with lighting switch under seat nose as G80CS, home market had same headlamp as touring with switches in same.

USA versions had a sportier look, but home market were more practical. You pays your money & takes your choice.

Cheers, Don.
CAB

Post by CAB »

Hello Gents

The CSR is back on the road now after a snapped front brake anchor strap....

I noticed a reprint of a 1963 Matchless 650 Hurricane road test in one of last moths classic bike comics. The centre stand on the bike in the article looks like it has extension blocks like mine but it also has a substantial lever that looks as if it is curved to clear a left hand exhaust pipe (if fitted). The lever looks as if it is designed to be stood on to help lift the bike (it is offset behind the fulcrum point). I do not have a lever on my stand, should a 1961 G12 CSR have one?

Thanks

CAB
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The short curved extention for the 1960-61 models does not provide any leverage to assist in lifting. It only provides access for bikes with L/H low exhaust pipe. The 1962-up stand had a much longer extension shaped as a lever to help lift the bike. That may be the one you saw. Cheers, Don.