Front fork springs

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
trophy

Front fork springs

Post by trophy »

Hi All. Hope you had a good Christmas. Road conditions here in the Lake District not conducive for two wheel transport but ideal for two legged rambling round Tarn Hows.
However, back to business. Can anyone advise which way round the front fork springs (slightly progressive ?) should be fitted on my 1957 G9? As fitted the coils tighten up towards the lower end, but is this correct? Indeed, does it matter which way round they are fitted?
Ride safe all.
itma

Front fork springs

Post by itma »

close coils to the top
trophy

Front fork springs

Post by trophy »

Many thanks Ken
Ride safe all.
Chazzyb

Front fork springs

Post by Chazzyb »

quote:
close coils to the top

Why? Not arguing, just curious. Dual rate springs in other bikes of mine are fitted this way too, but nothing has ever said why. Is it about unsprung weight or summat? Closer coiled end will be heavier so you don't want that bouncing up and down as the forks move, perhaps?
Charles
Eric

Front fork springs

Post by Eric »

This is only an educated guess but perhaps it is so that the spring force becomes more progressive the more the forks move.

Early movement will occur in the more open coil section that is nearer to the point of movement. As movement increases these coils will become closer and closer until finally moving the stronger close wound spring at the farthest point away from initial movement.
Samuel

Front fork springs

Post by Samuel »

Progressive compression will occur either way round so I think it must be to reduce mass movement / unsprung weight.
Sam
Eric

Front fork springs

Post by Eric »

Samuel what you say is correct. What I forgot to say is that early movement will occur in the more open coil section that is nearer to the point of movement and lighter, so it is to do with unsprung weight.

The other way round would move the heavey tighter wound coils but initially not compressing them, so they would be unsprung weight.