AUTO ADVANCE AND RETARD

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
brian laud

AUTO ADVANCE AND RETARD

Post by brian laud »

On a 1956 g80 should advance/ retard unit be keyed to magneto or will taper hold it in place. Magneto has a woodruff slot in the taper but the advance retard unit bore does not have a keyway. i s it the wrong unit as it was not obtained with the bike . When I bought the bike as a non runner it only had a keyed sprocket at the mag end, no advance retard facility at all.
wilko

AUTO ADVANCE AND RETARD

Post by wilko »

The slotted version is a dynamo sprocket. No reason you cant use it as long as the offset is correct. I'm actually using a maggy one on my dynamo!
Stan Palmer

AUTO ADVANCE AND RETARD

Post by Stan Palmer »

Bryan said the magneto shaft had a keyway. My manual mag has no keyway. I guess it would be OK if it did have one, as long as the sprocket on the camshaft was free to enable setting the timing. Perhaps the auto advance ones had a key due to the extra torque possible from the rotating weight of the advance unit.

Stan
clive

AUTO ADVANCE AND RETARD

Post by clive »

I have two AMC auto advance units and neither has a slot for woodruff key, held on by the rather fancy bolt which also acts as an extractor. And you need it because the taper alone makes a good lock.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ktofthewoefig

AUTO ADVANCE AND RETARD

Post by ktofthewoefig »

An old thread but i Just wanted to add Ive just removed auto advance unit from my 55 single. Found that the shaft had a slot for woodruff key but as stated above there was no slot in the auto advance unit and no key.Edited by - ktofthewoefig on 12 Mar 2011 12:58:23 AM
wilko

AUTO ADVANCE AND RETARD

Post by wilko »

Someones homemade effort i guess. Considering most Maggy's are timed by positioning the sprocket on the taper. Perhaps the taper was worn from slipping sprocket in the past. Which i have come across on different BSA's and J.A.P's.