On the road again, 1956 AJS 18CS

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
keje

Post by keje »

Hi folks, I`ve finally got my -56 18CS together. It started (almost) on the first kick.
It made a barking sound anyway, after trying again five or six times it came to live. As the first drops of oil dripped into the oil tank I was assured the engine worked as it supposed to, not much mechanical noises and the sound is fantastic without the silencer. Went out for a short spin and except from a slightly slipping clutch everything was OK.

Bought the bike in boxes(an ongoing restauration) before christmas -08 and with some help from various supplyers I got all the missing parts.

Left to do is the rear number plate with its lamp and perhaps a silencer just for the neighbours. After sorting the bike out during the summer I will do the final paint and transfers. The paperwork for registration should not be any problem but is quite costly.

Thanks to you who have assisted with knowledge and parts, for example Don Madden, Dave Gregory and Steven Surbey, who had a major struggle with the postal service.

You can see the bike in the gallery. Behind is my long stroke -55. Now road legal after a hard life as a MX bike.

Regards
Keje, Sweden
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Congradulations, Keje. Your persistance has paid off.

Duplicate number plates & other competition only parts are available from the North American section of the AJSMOC.

Cheers, Don.
keje

Post by keje »

Thanks Don!

I`ve got the drawings you made of the numberplate holder, lamp fixing and speedo bracket. I found them in Christians Archive some years ago and I will try to fabricate them myself.
What puzzels me is the lugs that not exists on the rear mudguard stay, they are altered on the -55 so Im not sure what they should look like.
If I dont manage I can turn to the North American AJSMOC.

Regards
Keje
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The 1956 rear mudguard support is different from the 1955 witch has different mountings to the frame. If you have the 1956 type I can take a photo of the 1956 type showing the tabs. Contact me directly if you need more info. Cheers, Don.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Hi there,
The 56 CS looks great.
One question, does the cylinder head have a side plug or a centre plug?
Many thanks
John
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

All Short stroke CS have a center plug. 1956-59 have a boss angled on the side that many have drilled out & threaded for a plug. All my heads of this period are modified such. The 1960-up heads do not have the boss & the fins do not have the open area to allow for one, but the port from the plug chamber into the combustion chamber is larger.

Cheers, Don.
keje

Post by keje »

Hi John

As Don mentioned it has a centre plug.
No other modifications has been made to the head on my engine

Regards
Keje
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Hi Don and Keje,
I had always thought that myself until I bought a 56 CS engine with a side plug head.
I have been researching and have since seen one other 56CS with a side plug head.
The head is a CS head with no modifications that I can tell. May be the early 56 CS were side plug? The engine number is 56/ 18 2227CS. Any ideas?
If I can work out how to post a picture on the site I will if that helps. I would really like to know what the head is from if not a CS?
Many thanks,
John
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

While I have had my 1956 scrambler since then, I cannot say they never produced a CS head with side plug but I remember seeing them new with only the center position. Out here, any serious racer or rider had the side boss drilled. Have you ever changed the deeply shrouded center plug on an engine at near melting temperature in the desert at an ambient of 115F, (46C)? I have.

Cheers, Don.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Thanks Don,
A prompt repsonse as always.
I just tried to upload a picture but not sure where it went as it doesn't appear on the list of new photo's. Is there a time delay or did I do something wrong?
Thanks
John