Air Filter fitting issues

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
simonmcdowell

Post by simonmcdowell »

I am rebuilding a 1956 matchless G80. I managed to source the air filter described in the parts list number 0223648 (The filter is the oval type). However I cannot see how it mounts to the frame. No frame brackets seem to line up with the filter mounts, and the rear mudguard looks as if it would get in the way. Can anyone help please?

Also I am in desperate need of the rubber intake part number: 022348 Does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks in advance

Si
wilko

Post by wilko »

Sure you dont have one for the twin frame?
GSAX1

Post by GSAX1 »

I bought some rubber intakes from AMC Classic Spares not long ago. You could try them or Russel Motors.

http://www.amcclassicspares.com/
http://www.russellmotors.co.uk/

Michael
simonmcdowell

Post by simonmcdowell »

Hi Wilko, thanks for the reply. I don't think I have a twin frame as my frame matches the frame specs and pictures for the new singles frame introduced in 1956, How would I tell?

Thanks also to GSAX1 for the information on the intakes, I will get on to AMC Classic spares now

Thanks Guys

SiEdited by - simonmcdowell on 16 Jun 2009 10:47:05 AM
simonmcdowell

Post by simonmcdowell »

Thanks GSAX1

Russel motors stock the rubber air intake. I sent the order Tuesday and had the item in hand friday morning. An excellent service.

My air filter is a reproduction air filter I found (part number 022346). It was advertised as a replacement for a G9\G11. My parts list states the same part number for the filter. I was wondering are there subtle differences between the mounts for the 1956 G80 and G9\G11 Motorcycles

Thanks Si
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

Yes there is a difference in the seat tube. If you think about the single carb of a twin, it is fitted dead centre, requiring a hole in the seat tube for the airhose to go through. On the single the carb is fitted slightly askew pointing to the offside, lining up with an offset hole in the frame cover. So the brackets on the filter units must be different too. I'm embarrassingly familiar with this problem, I bought one of the repro filters too. Fortunately I have a G9 project in the waiting, so the will filter will be put to use.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
simonmcdowell

Post by simonmcdowell »

Thanks TommoT, I guess I will have to make up some brackets to adapt it to my frame. Lesson learned (the hard way as always)

Thanks

Si
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

There is no hole in the seat tube for the air filter tube in the 56 frame, it has a vertical seat tube.
The air filter has 3 mounting tags, one fits the oil tank the 2 other fits the 2 holes in the seat tube, the holes you have to use, are the 2 behind the thread for the cover between the oil tank and tool box. The rubber tube is an offset type for the twins
Best regard Poul
simonmcdowell

Post by simonmcdowell »

Thanks Poul, hadn't considered mounting the filter like that. I will give it a go and let you know

Thanks Si
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

For 1956-59 the twin frame had a threaded lug under the front tank mounts for the head stay, while the singles used the clamp around the top tube as before. Otherwise, they appear to be the same. The lower rails for comp frames for 1957-59 were incorporated into the rear loop, not separate as touring.

Cheers, Don.