Have I got this right?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
stevie

Have I got this right?

Post by stevie »

Thanks Wilko!
I'll pop up and get a gasket first then off we go again....
Charles - thanks you might be right I'll let you know

Steve

ps I don't think there is a gasket there, is there?
If there is a leak through the cam bush is it a problem?Edited by - stevie on 17 Jun 2009 2:57:13 PM
If a man speaks in the forest and his wife is not there to hear him is he still wrong?
stevie

Have I got this right?

Post by stevie »

Hmmmm, interesting
Magneto chain was bathed in good thick grease - no problem there at all, even adjusted about right. Little bit of oil in the bottom of the case but not much, only leaked out 'cause the faces of the covers were caked in old sealant.
Only thing - seems like the previous visitor had topped up old grease instead of clearing out and using new.
Orange grease? whatever next I thought it was going to be all rusty like the tin chaincase was.
Mustn't moan....
If a man speaks in the forest and his wife is not there to hear him is he still wrong?
itma

Have I got this right?

Post by itma »

there is no need to clear out the old grease, in fact the earlier mag behind engines had a grease nipple fitted.
oil in the case can come from the camshaft bush, or out of the blanking plug.
It matters not.
Oil has a tendancy to travel far from where its actually coming from.
Give the engine a good clean, and dust french chalk over all the joints; you'll see where its coming from.

check the rubber in the pushrod cover plate; is the joint in the rubber at the top or the bottom? does it meet? a fair bit can come from here,also put fibre washers under the 3 knurled nuts.
the grease I prefer to use on the mag chain is good old-fashioned graphite grease.
Gets under your nails a treat too.
stevie

Have I got this right?

Post by stevie »

Thanks again itma,

I haven't got round to the top end yet, will do in the next few days I hope, no gigs this weekend Doesn't seem to get much further than the top surface of the carb at the moment so it can't be that bad yet
They're sort of self - basting, like a turkey, aren't they
Mag chaincase seems to be dry now, anyway (for the time being )
Cheers
Steve
56G80S

Have I got this right?

Post by 56G80S »

I'm afraid that I have so many points of oil seepage on the Matchless that it would be hard to identify them all.

But I do confess that I packed the whole magneto chaincase with graphite grease many years ago - I mean packed.

It doesn't leak. The chain doesn't seem to change its adjustment. I was concerned that grease might find it's way into the SR! - but that seems to work well despite complete neglect.

Or hadn't. When I find someone to properly fix the SH exhaust cam I'm currently running with I'll fit the standard one in while it's being done and check the chain for the first time in XXXXX miles.

The standard inlet with SH exhaust seems to work well - any views on getting an SH inlet as well?

Johnny BEdited by - 56G80S on 22 Jun 2009 8:23:45 PM