VIN location

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
emulgrew

VIN location

Post by emulgrew »

Hi, I am a new member and have just aquired what I believe is a 1940's Matchless G3L requiring full restoration and validation of the frame and engine against the log book. Can anyone help me find the VIN location on the bike. The maintenance handbook says it should be at the seat mounting/right had side. I have looked there and generally on the frame but with no luck. The only markings on the frame I have found is "A3" on the forward verticle frame tube below the steering yoke and the tank mounting brackets. Does anyone know what the A3 indicates? and where should I find the frame number?
itma

VIN location

Post by itma »

there is no VIN number.
there is a frame number **** under the seat on the right hand side.
with this and the engine number you can get a dating cert from this club
http://www.ajs-matchless.com/Dating.asp

les ward

VIN location

Post by les ward »

As Itma says the frame number is on the right, under the seat, normall on the horizontal frame lug.
Frame numbers only started with an A during 1953 and after. Frame numbers were under the seat till around 1957/8 when they moved to the front downtube position that you describe for the A3.
If you email me at dating@jampot.com I can send you a guide to locating your frame number.
emulgrew

VIN location

Post by emulgrew »

Many thanks to you guys for the replies. I will investigate and get in touch with the club for dating the frame and engine. I am sure I will have many more questions etc in months to come. Again thanks for the support!!
deshollier
Deceased

VIN location

Post by deshollier »

My number is only visible by shining a torch across the area at an angle, as the powder coating finish has largely filled the number in.
emulgrew

VIN location

Post by emulgrew »

Thanks to Les for providing the frame location diagram, I have now found the Frame Number, never would have found it without the info and as Des also said some of it is so worn it is only visible with the torch light at an angle. I am nowsatisfied that the frame number ties up with the V5 Registration Book so its a positive result. Many thanks to all.