fork puller

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
arsey30

fork puller

Post by arsey30 »

Does anyone know where I can buy a heavy weight [1 1/4"] front fork puller/extractor?

I have tried the Club, AMC spares, and Andrews, but all out of stock,

Thanks,

Dave.
paul knapp

fork puller

Post by paul knapp »

If you only want to pull up the fork tube so as to fit the top nut, screw in a length of broom handle into the tube, pull up, then tighten lower fork clamp pinch nut to hold tube in place till you screw in top nut.!
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

arsey30

fork puller

Post by arsey30 »

No, I need to get the forks out, they are tight in the top crown.
Dave.
deshollier
Deceased

fork puller

Post by deshollier »

Paul, wish I had thought of that before I bought the last puller in stock from Tony Surbey a few weeks ago!
legg

fork puller

Post by legg »

quote:
screw in a length of broom handle into the tube,

Another good fork gripper is a bit of threaded rod and a stack of rubber washers (cut with a wad punch or by hand) sandwiched between a couple of metal washers & nuts. The metal and rubber washers are just small enough to slip into the fork tube- use an old car inner tube or similar. Insert assembly into fork tube, tighten top nut, and the rubber is squished outwards, jamming into the fork tube. Another nut and a larger washer could be used on the top fork crown to pull the fork tube snugly into the crown, but when I tried it I just used brute-force-and-ignorance at this stage of proceedings. The squished-rubber grips the fork tube surprisingly effectively. Obviously, it is a good idea to clean any oil from the top couple of inches of the tube!
paul knapp

fork puller

Post by paul knapp »

quote: No, I need to get the forks out, they are tight in the top crown

This is getting easier!, loosen pinch nuts, loosen fork top nut ONE turn then give it a smack with a soft face hammer, when tube moves down, loosen the top nut another turn and wack it again!...If it is still tight, drive a small wedge into the slot behind the pinch nut.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Janet

fork puller

Post by Janet »

quote:
If you only want to pull up the fork tube so as to fit the top nut, screw in a length of broom handle into the tube, pull up, then tighten lower fork clamp pinch nut to hold tube in place till you screw in top nut.!
You must have better broom handles that we've got. Even with a puller that screwed into the threads of the fork tube we couldn't pull a leg into the top of the top yoke. Fortunately we had the bits to apply to the screw thread to drag it up
arsey30

fork puller

Post by arsey30 »

This is getting easier!, loosen pinch nuts, loosen fork top nut ONE turn then give it a smack with a soft face hammer, when tube moves down, loosen the top nut another turn and wack it again!...If it is still tight, drive a small wedge into the slot behind the pinch nut.

Paul

I have done all that, but given that the top bolt is 5/8" long and the top yoke 1 1/8" thick,
the fork tube is now only half way out, which is why the factory supply a puller I suppose.
I don't think I could pull them back in with a broom handle, the head would come off first, not to mention the sawdust entereing the fork tube, and anyway all by brooms are metric : )

I have spoken to Andrews again and they have found a puller, so I will try that.
Thanks,
Dave.
Don Madden

fork puller

Post by Don Madden »

If you can get an old top bolt, it is easy to make a puller. Just drill through the middle & grind or turn off the flange above the clamp. Some threaded rod & nuts will secure the bolt & a T handle welded to the top will do the job. A good start on a Section tool kit.

Cheers, Don.
arsey30

fork puller

Post by arsey30 »

Don,
I did consider making a puller from a top bolt, but thought it may be quicker and easier to get a puller, as AMC spares and the Club sell them, rather than try to get an old top bolt, but that was to be the next step.

Thanks,

Dave.