New member - advice needed

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
b.phillips

Post by b.phillips »

Hello out there. I have just joined, once the payment is processed, having just bought my first "classic" brit, a 1949 AJS model 18. I should pick it up in a couple of weeks. Is there anyone down here in Devon, near Kingsbridge, who can give some advice to someone new to Brits. The bike is unrestored, and runs well, with all the important stuff up together. The speedo needs fixing however, it only shows up to 30 then loses interest, so I'll have to get that done sometime soon. Any recommendations. I've waited a long time to find one of these that pretty much original, and have no intention of restoring it, just looking after it, getting to a few rallies and some local pottering. Looking forward to a good summer
brian phillips
Urbsam

Post by Urbsam »

Hello Brian!
You must be lucky to have found a nice mod 18.
The rigid 18 and G80 are lovely bikes, hope You will have a great summer (and spring..,why wait?. I started up one of my bike today)
Sorry, have no advice to give about Your questions, but i think You soon will have some more answers!

Bästa hälsningar,
Urban
ray pobjoy

Post by ray pobjoy »

Hello to you too Brian,
I am also a new member and can't beleive the responses I got to my initial question. I'm sure you will get all the advise you need.
What is it like living in a Country where the sesons dictate when you ride? ahhhh.
Ray
laxy

Post by laxy »

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum.
You are doing exactly the right thing regards running the bike as is.
you can enjoy plodding around the lanes without having to avoid those muddy puddles whilst keeping one eye on the weather in case it rains one your shiny pride and joy leaving you with a days work to get it back to pristine condition.
Its the best fun you will have with your clothes on
Regarding speedo repairs,there are several companies who will happy to refurbish your speedo including Gaggs of Nottingham who quoted me approx. £120 recently.
Carry out a forum search for spedometers and other options should come up as the topic was discussed a couple of months back.
Hope this helps, KEITH
robf1961

Post by robf1961 »

hi
i had a similar thing with my speedo when i got my G9. I put a new cable on and it sorted it. Might be worth trying cable before refurbishing speedo.
When I joined i got great advice from forum
Don't use modern oils - stick with low detergent ones like Millers classic
I prefer oily rag used examples to show bikes aswell
safe riding
rob
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

Brian, congratulations on your find, unrestored machines in fine running condition are quite desirable down here and are much admired.
Post a picture so we can all have a 'drool'.
Re speedometer, it more than likely only needs the chronometric movement to be removed and soaked in a de-greaser and then LIGHTLY re oiled.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Janet

Post by Janet »

quote: Don't use modern oils - stick with low detergent ones like Millers classicWhich will now confuse the poor chap as that's the complete opposite from what he was told on the Real Classic site. A member there told him to use modern oil, synthetic if possible.
orbinrangle

Post by orbinrangle »

Hello Brian. I'm up the road in Exeter with a 1952 AJS 18S. Not sure how much use I'll be but I'm sure we can help each other out. Let me know your contact details to my e mail address, available by looking at my profile.
Robin
R J Rawle
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome Brian.
If you haven't found the wealth of replies to 'Help' forum questions yet...
Click on 'Forum' at the top of this page.
Then 'Search Forums'
(Also use 'Tech. Articles' for more techy info)
Enter a search topic - e.g. 'Oil' or 'Speedometer'
Pour a large glass of St Emilion.
Adjust central heating to stay on until 3 a.m.
Be overwhelmed.

In short:
Use monograde - Millers, Halfords, Morris.
Engine: 30 grade when there's an 'R' in the month, 50 grade when there isn't. (Just like the season for mussels).
Primary: 20 or 30 grade mono (some use ATF - Auto transmission fluid). Top up so that oil just touches bottom of primary chain.
Forks: 6 1/2 fl oz of 20 grade fork oil per leg, after draining old oil.
That should get you started.
Reprints of the original Owners Handbooks, Workshop Manuals, Lucas service sheets etc are readily available - some through the Club Spares Scheme - Jampot Spares Ltd (aka 'JSL').
For further confusion just post your questions here.

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'