matchless g9 rear shocks

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
rick doubleday

matchless g9 rear shocks

Post by rick doubleday »

can anyone help,the rear shocks on my matchless g9 have no movement at all. is it possible to rebuild them or have they gone to the scrap yard in the sky.also can you buy replacement shocks that look the same as jampots,any help would be great thanks rick.
laxy

matchless g9 rear shocks

Post by laxy »

Hi Rick, welcome to the forum.
have your units suddenly stopped moving or has the bike been laid up for some time?
If your jampots need overhauling this can be done by searching the forum where it has been covered or by following the instructions in the manual.all the bits and pieces you will need are available from the club spares scheme (jampot spares ltd.)how appropriate is that for a name?
Although to the best of my knowledge jampot units are not available new,they do often come up on ebay in various states of repair.
If you are not bothered about originality then JSL and others sell the girling type units which are a straight replacement.
Hope this info is usefull regards,Keith
legg

matchless g9 rear shocks

Post by legg »

quote:
can you buy replacement shocks that look the same as jampots.

Have a look at www.ikonsuspension.com -they sell something to do with jampots. "Jampot conversion shock Part No 76-1076 -fits into original shock absorber housing using original spring & cover hardware". Ikon took over the tooling from the Koni company.
hope this is of use, Cheers
SPRIDDLER

matchless g9 rear shocks

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Speaking with Tony Surbey at AMC Classic Spares recently he told me that he can now supply modern susp units which fit inside the trad Jampot metalwork...thus retaining the original appearance.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
itma

matchless g9 rear shocks

Post by itma »

or
Jampot Reconditioning £70 + p&p. Parts consist of top bushes, oil seals, washers, bottom & top rubber bushes (cost around £50). All other parts extra. Postage £15. Post them to me with a cheque for £70 and I'll give you a quote. Girling top covers (Black) £14 pair. Girling bottom covers (Chrome) £16 pair. Postage £3. N A Lynn. 30 Malvern Close Newmarket. Suffolk. CB8 8BP. Tel: 01638 655855 or e-mail nalynn@btinternet.com
rick doubleday

matchless g9 rear shocks

Post by rick doubleday »

quote:
Hi Rick, welcome to the forum.
have your units suddenly stopped moving or has the bike been laid up for some time?
If your jampots need overhauling this can be done by searching the forum where it has been covered or by following the instructions in the manual.all the bits and pieces you will need are available from the club spares scheme (jampot spares ltd.)how appropriate is that for a name?
Although to the best of my knowledge jampot units are not available new,they do often come up on ebay in various states of repair.
If you are not bothered about originality then JSL and others sell the girling type units which are a straight replacement.
Hope this info is usefull regards,Keith
rick doubleday

matchless g9 rear shocks

Post by rick doubleday »

hi keith, the units must have stopped moving some time ago, ihave had the bike for two years but i think they must have been seized when i got it,thought it was a hard ride,many thanks for your help,rick.
rick doubleday

matchless g9 rear shocks

Post by rick doubleday »

quote:
Speaking with Tony Surbey at AMC Classic Spares recently he told me that he can now supply modern susp units which fit inside the trad Jampot metalwork...thus retaining the original appearance.
rick doubleday

matchless g9 rear shocks

Post by rick doubleday »

cheers ,thanks for the info,thanks rick
rick doubleday

matchless g9 rear shocks

Post by rick doubleday »

quote: