Mounting Dynamo into engine plates.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Thanks for the advice guys, now realise there is no locating strip on my dynamo and that there should be. Will start trying to source one in the morning. JSL show em listed on the site but a quick phone call will confirm.
It's all just riding motorbikes
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

We outlawed kinks, or was that kings in the US. But we love royalty Cheers, Don.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

But we love royalty
Why
Chemists do it with test tubes
wilko

Post by wilko »

I use an A10 Beeza dynamo with no woodruff key and it doesn't slip on the taper. It's only there to stop the armature turning when doing up the nut.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

But we love royalty
Why

Because they usually don't stay long. House guests & fish stink after three days. Cheers, Don.
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

I don't blame them for 'not staying long' !
There's no place like home.
And they would probably be glad to come back to it. Colonial (or Ex-Colonial) visits are part of the job description !Edited by - Malleon on 27 Aug 2011 11:54:34 AMEdited by - Malleon on 27 Aug 2011 11:29:04 PM
Peter Lecompte

Re: Mounting Dynamo into engine plates.

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi all. This is the closest thread I could find to my question about fitting my Lucas E3AR-A05-1 dynamo into the rear engine plates of my 1950 G80 project. This is a bike that has been built from a collection of bits I purchased a couple of years ago,
The dynamo hole diameter in the engine plates seems to be a lot larger than the diameter of the dynamo. When I fit the dynamo (with the locating strip) and turn it to the 12 o'Clock position, I can still remove it as the locating strip does not sit against the inside of the engine plate.

I am wondering if there are engine plates with larger diameter dynamo holes or are they all the same?

I compared with another spare set and they are the same. This could indicate that the hole has not been enlarged by a previous owner.

Cheers Peter
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

does the locking ring for the dynamo actually secure it against the crankcase? if so and all else lines up tickerteboo, why not just make a larger security strap so as to prevent the dynamo moving towards the chaincase, a bigger foot at one end if you understand what I'm getting at?, I had to make my own as there was'nt one on the dynamo I sourced, I only put a foot at one end just being lazy I guess, kind regards
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

For info............

Dynamo nut assy.
The serrations lock the washer to the nut, the ears on the washer locate in the sprocket. Circlip fits in groove around nut. ;)

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'