Dean Forest Riders

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
chris kelly

Dean Forest Riders

Post by chris kelly »

Hi Greg,

The one rider, that comes to mind, is Bob Bufton, Secretary of the local ''Vintage Motor Cycle'' club , based at ''The Bell Inn'', Lower Broadheath, near Worcester. Bob often rides older BMW bikes on ''runs '' which entail a full days riding. His Vintage Triumph being used on shorter ''runs'' Bob has many connections with other bike clubs in the Counties surrounding Worcestershire like the Herefordshire ''Vintage'' section.

Also, apart from the usual Sunday runs which could entail really long distances to the Welsh coast, Bob, regularly organized ''runs'' on a Thursday . He took time off from his engineering job but most riders who joined him were retired. These rides usually started in Bromyard. Members from the Hereford Section often rode on these runs too.

The only ''odd'' thing is that the other bikes you saw were exclusively AJS and Matchless, as The Vintage Motorcycle Club ''is generally a mix of bikes.

When the Worcestershire local AJS and Matchless Club ''closed' in about 1999 , because our numbers were too small , we moved over to ''The Vintage Club ''.

I think, possibly, the Worcestershire AJS and Matchless Club is now active again but I would guess its numbers would be small.

Best wishes, Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
poplargreg

Dean Forest Riders

Post by poplargreg »

Thanks for that Chris. I don't think it was a VMCC run as all the bikes (about 8-10) were post war AMC - a mixture of twins and singles, all looking as though they are in regular use. This made me think it may have been an AMOC run. There was no sign of provisions strapped to carriers either, so I guess they were fairly local and not just passing through.
It would be interesting to know if a section is active locally.
Cheers, GregEdited by - poplargreg on 15 Mar 2009 4:40:06 PM
RogerJ

Dean Forest Riders

Post by RogerJ »

Greg, in answer to your question the Worcester section is not "active". From the information supplied to me there are not many members in the H & W area - I did try and solicit some interest via this forum but any response was sadly lacking and I haven't tried again as other activies have dominated over the last 12 months.

If you know of anyone else who may be interested then perhaps we can get something going?
poplargreg

Dean Forest Riders

Post by poplargreg »

I missed that - it's a good time of the year to try again maybe?