Handlebar controls!

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Branston

Handlebar controls!

Post by Branston »

After years of experience with AJS Matchless & other bikes I am still not sure which exact design of handlebar (combined) control levers the 1957 G11 I am restoring should have.
There are an infinite number of variations of these things. I would at least like to know what year they changed from the hexagon bolt top to the sunk in screw head type? Anybody out there dare admit to knowing such an anal fact?
I can't see any good pics of a 57 bike in the Bacon books on AMC but there is one of a Norton 88 in 1957 and that clearly sports the bolt headed type.
Also what dipswitch was used in 57? I presume the combined horn / dipswitch that was chrome , like a mushroom in shape and screws directly to the handle bars.??
RJG
bjork

Handlebar controls!

Post by bjork »

Hello Richard, I don't know-sorry! But I would hazard a guess at the countersunk slotted type. There must be pictures on the net somewhere? I didn't know you were so picky?
Maybe there's an Amal enthusiast's e-group?

Steve.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
itma

Handlebar controls!

Post by itma »

There are so many variations that are no longer availiable it must surely be academic?
From my experience of 1950s spares it would have varied from batch to batch probably.
This notion that someone somewhere recorded the type of screw heads on handlebar clips for future posterity is not only deeply anal but worryingly bizarre

As for dip switches etc,what you need to find are the Lucas spec sheets for that year which show in detail exactly which bit went where.
Your bike won go any better for it tho' and if its perfect originality you are seeking I'll pop round when you've finished and point out all the detail you got wrong
There will be a fee involved.. natch

As for using photos in modern books as a guide thats about as good a reference as some of the tat in the fire damaged shed in Coventry.
After all who has vetted the pics in the Bacon book? nothing could be rasher[geddit?]than to rely on them.
Period photos are the only reliable thing for that.
Branston

Handlebar controls!

Post by Branston »

Thanks for that! I'm not usually that picky honest! The bike has counter sunk type fitted so it's favourite but it contradicts the Bacon 57 Norton pics. Maybe it was another change over year!
Cheers
RJG
itma

Handlebar controls!

Post by itma »

who says the Bacon book is right?
laxy

Handlebar controls!

Post by laxy »

A late entry for anorack of the week award.
Has any one noticed on all the pictures of bikes in the Bacon book non of them have kick start rubbers fitted
Are you still selling those bottles of plumstead air Ken to the rivet counters for their tyres
itma

Handlebar controls!

Post by itma »

Plumstead air vintage 1956 still availiable in bottles, last half dozen on offer.
Its a bit rank after all these years, but a good match for Plumstead 2009.
I also have countable rivets in boxes of 100, well, 99 if if you count them
That Bacon book is all Gammon.
Branston

Handlebar controls!

Post by Branston »

It's just a bit of harmless fun!Maybe there's someone out there who knows the answer but is now too embarrased to share his (or her) knowledge!!!! Also note pillion footrests and brake stop switches are not depicted. I believe these items were optional add-ons fitted by the dealers!(That's why brake switch arrangements often look like Heath Robinsonesque after-thoughts!)
RJG
itma

Handlebar controls!

Post by itma »

I am beginning to think your calender is fast, its way off April 1
Are you serious in that you think there was such a thing as a "change over date" for the screws on the handlebar levers?
The commitee of AMC engineers sitting down to discuss what time of year they should change these screws?

"Well George old lad, these screws are a problem, yep,they'll need sorting soon, and while you're about it get young Colin to put the time and date of the change over in the originality book, cos sure as eggs is eggs in 50 years time some bugger will want to know if its original or not.
And while you are about it lad, make sure the air in the tyres is dated right, last weeks went out with Februarys date still, there'll be hell to pay at a concours somewhere in the future mark my words"

I know AMC were sods for Badge engineering but handlebar screws?

This is a leg pull?

Or are you off the other forum,can you not find a really obscure casting number to worry about?
Brake switches were a standard fitment along with the stop lamp, because they wer a legal requirement; the reason they are all so Heath Robinson these days is most folk probably get cheesed off trying to keep the old original ones on.

Come on own up this is a wind up?

Ps you find stop switches etc shown on the aforementioned Lucas parts list
Edited by - itma on 08 Mar 2009 10:31:36 PM
Branston

Handlebar controls!

Post by Branston »

Why the anti-Bacon stuff? I've always thought his books were reasonably accurate and most pictures used are period. Any examples of Bacon-howlers?
RJG