First ride.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
xseven

First ride.

Post by xseven »

Well.
Sun's out,roads are dry so off we go for a little run out just to see how things are.
So turn on fuel,tickle carb big kick and bingo fire's first time sounds good so pop my Son on the back and off we go to town for some fuel.She seems to be running quite nicely,seems a little sluggish but pulls smoothly and sounds ok so put this down to the extra weight.
Anyway trundle in to town quite nicely about 5 miles and fill up.Starts fine second kick and off we go again heading home.
Again all going well until we are about a mile from home,then CLATTER,CLATTER,BANG..
Big backfire,no power,clutch in and coast to a halt
So pushed Her home into the garage and inside for a cup of coffee.
Isn't this fun
Oh well,looks like I'm going to be getting my hands dirty sooner than I thought
rainmanshaun

First ride.

Post by rainmanshaun »

Oh dear Sean don't like the sound of the clatter clatter bit. I know that this is probably a silly question but you don't happen to have noticed if there is a shut off valve on the oil feed pipe from the oil tank to the engine to prevent wet sumping because if there is and you didn't know about it........
Rainmanshaun
rainmanshaun

First ride.

Post by rainmanshaun »

I suppose the first thing to check is if the engine will still kick over and if it does what sort of noises it is making. Seems odd that she was starting and running so well to begin with. If the engine turns over ok perhaps check if the magneto is turning as if its not maybe the drive chain has snapped/sprocket slipped ??
Rainmanshaun
laxy

First ride.

Post by laxy »

My first thought was also the oil tap if fitted.
Lets think logicly, You travelled almost 10 miles but the bike felt sluggish.Have you been running with the air slide closed? this would seriously weaken the mixture.Youve recently bought the bike,was this your first run?has the last owner rebuilt or had rebuilt the engine? My first line of investigation would be the points and has the gap closed/opened after being adjusted.Also, are you sure the funny noise you heard wasnt the sound of Andy TXXXXMAN Laughing his tiddlywinks off Sorry that was below the belt.finaly worry not this can be fixed with help from the forum,it is why we are here .It may not even be expensive.(much)
Regards Keith
xseven

First ride.

Post by xseven »

Thanks rainman.

No valve and I checked that oil was returning to tank before I set off and all seemed fine.
I havn't touched it since I got back,thought it would be best to start fresh in the morning.So I will try and turn her over and see what's what.
I'm pretty well certain that something has let go inside.There was a clatter and then back fire and then no power so I got the clutch in straight away and just pulled in.
Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers sean.

itma

First ride.

Post by itma »

Hopefully because of the clatter, you have a pushrod thats jumped out, possibly because a valve has stuck, or it was not seated properly.

Hopefully you have not seized the psiton because you are working it too hard before its run in.
two up on a rebuilt 350 first time out is asking a bit much in my usual gloomy opinion.
xseven

First ride.

Post by xseven »

Cheers guy's.
Engine has not been rebuilt so that shouldn't be a factor.
Youngster

First ride.

Post by Youngster »

Hi Sean,

Hopefully its nothing too bad! It could be something as simple as the magneto chain/sprocket being loose and the spark happening at the wrong time.

At least you had nice weather for your push home.

Good luck with the diagnosis!
Too many bikes, So little time!!
mikeydpippin

First ride.

Post by mikeydpippin »

I hope this is not serious but if it is,there is enough expertise on this site to talk you through the repair.
I feel lucky because even though i've got problems with my wheel rim,you must feel gutted,I hope this is a minor hiccupp and you will be back on the road soon.Regards Mike
Mike
xseven

First ride.

Post by xseven »

Thank's for the support guy's.

It's no big deal really.It would have been nice to get a few more miles under the wheels but I'm sure it can be fixed and then at least I'll know it's ok.
It may sound a bit odd but I'm quite looking forward to fixing her