battery charging

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
restoal

battery charging

Post by restoal »

hi i no this might sound silly but can i charge my motorcycle battery with my 12v charger.
poplargreg

battery charging

Post by poplargreg »

If it's a 6 volt battery and you're using a 12 volt charger, you need another 6 volt battery or bulb in SERIES to limit the current
kernow kid

battery charging

Post by kernow kid »

Yes, make sure the voltage is the same!!
And dont be tempted to use a hefty car charger, they are a bit too manly for a small bike battery. Best you go for something rated up to about 3 amps maximum.
In series means in line..so..if u have 2 batteries, connect the + of one battery to the - of the other, the connect your charger to the - of one battery and the + of the other.
Make sure you get your + and -'s the right way round!
Hope this helps.
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
rex.webb

battery charging

Post by rex.webb »

r w webb
rex.webb

battery charging

Post by rex.webb »

No i am not still ASLEEP???
POS terminal on one Battery to Negative of the other Battery
The two terminals unconected now fix to the Batter Charger if it is a 12V
Charger
Ride with Care and Live Long.
r w webb
poplargreg

battery charging

Post by poplargreg »

Even better, invest in a 6 + 12 volt Optimate. This is a clever chap - it assesses the battery condition, charges as appropriate, disconnects, then checks at intervals, keeping the battery fully charged. It draws so little current it can be connected permanently when not using the bike. Allowing a lead/acid battery to completely discharge then recharging a few times usually means curtains for it.
alanjennings

battery charging

Post by alanjennings »

Beware, Greg, I've heard bad reports of "optimates" ruining batteries!! The only answer is to ride it regularly!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
poplargreg

battery charging

Post by poplargreg »

I've heard tell of this, so I don't leave it on all the time, though I know people who do without apparent damage. The good thing is that it will not overcharge if you forget to switch off. Car-type chargers are a bit too powerful for motorcyle batteries. It's not so important with a Matchie, but if I leave Salvador unused for too long, the alarm/immobiliser runs the battery down and lead batteries do like to be kept fully charged. As you say - the best thing is to keep riding!
wheel@bothends

battery charging

Post by wheel@bothends »

Batteries are supposed to be charged at one tenth of their output, in other words if it says 10 Amp hour on the battery - charge at 1 amp. Five amps then half an amp.
If it starts to fizz like billy-oh as soon as connected to charger, whip the connections off,it's boiling! Gel [sealed or low maintenance] types really don't like this situation.........
Lots of batteries with poorly regulated charging systems get killed by excess charge/overheating in the summer when lights aren't on and the ambient temperature is that bit higher [hopefully!]
Electrolite levels for lead acid types should be checked more often at this time of year.
RobynEdited by - wheel@bothends on 22 Feb 2009 11:42:24 PM