New road safety measures

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

New road safety measures

Post by Rick.Edwards »

Just seen an article on the TV calling for mandatory use of inflatable air jackets for all motorcycles.Apparently they are going to be very expensive but save lives.
The piston ring King
rex.webb

New road safety measures

Post by rex.webb »

Pleanty of "HOT AIR" about to inflate them ?
Trouble is will they fit certain people of a ?Larger size?.
Ride with Care and Live Long
Now i must add
Fit you Air Bag befor you Ride ??or should that be "Dont forget you Protection ! BAG ".???
r w webb
Stan Palmer

New road safety measures

Post by Stan Palmer »

".......use of inflatable air jackets for all motorcycles"
Is it the motorcycle or the rider ? Imagine if it is the bike you will be suddenly be sitting on a supersized space-hopper, or at worst be flung up in the air at a rate of knots. Perhaps that's the idea, like an ejector seat ?
wheel@bothends

New road safety measures

Post by wheel@bothends »

Imagine if these things were mandatory-There would be a new sport of waiting for a motorcyclist to stop at traffic lights, nipping out and pulling his ripcord. Then ['cos they are wearing all the prescribed gear, helmet gloves boots] enjoy watching the hapless rider's eyes pop out!

I am always annoyed by the phoney statistics bit-there is no true record of how many miles a bike owner covers in a year. So nothing else can have any factual bearing.
I believe that for every owner that does a modest mileage- theres one that is really racking them up.
Anyway not many moans about those others that are treated by the NHS, Horse riders for instance-now there's a dangerous past-time for the distance covered.
Perhaps they too are a suitable case for the Inflato-Jacket!!
SPRIDDLER

New road safety measures

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Twice in the past 12 months whilst in between replacing bike jackets ripped by a couple of spills I've been wearing my Henri Lloyd Offshore Yacht Racing gear. It has a built-in automatic lifejacket so maybe I didn't deserve the jibes from my fellow riders.
Haven't ridden into a harbour yet but when I do.........
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

New road safety measures

Post by Rick.Edwards »

The ones on the telly are connected to the rider via a rip cord, so when we get off dont forget to disconnect!
The piston ring King
RogerJ

New road safety measures

Post by RogerJ »

Don Madden

New road safety measures

Post by Don Madden »

According to the report, the call for compulsory use came from a hospital. We have statistics for US mortality that more people die in the US from medical mistakes than motorcycle accidents. Stay away from hospitals--people die there!

Cheers, Don.
jonhal

New road safety measures

Post by jonhal »

I had a bike clothing magazine through the door recently advertising these jackets. Expensive but like all things new they will come down in price. So long as they feel like a normal jacket when not inflated I would welcome them. Whether they should be compulsury is another thing. I would like to see test results first.
pkr87

New road safety measures

Post by pkr87 »

It is all right to have a blow up jacket but what happens if for some reason it does not work.Surely it would be simpler and easier to wear the sort of protecters that horse riders wear,made of modern plastics they are light and very strong and are worn inside their jackets and protect the back and ribs and could probably be made to protect the neck.Better yet they don't cost a fortune or make you look like Mr.Michelin man.Typical of our modern legislators,jump on to a band wagon without thinking the whole subject through.