MOT ?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
db133

MOT ?

Post by db133 »

May I ask my learned friends?

I know I should look it up some where, and I let myself down by asking such but never the less.........

I have heard of daylight MOTs but am unsure of the details ?

What is the situation with the MOT and pre-war bikes without speedometers ?

Kind regards

David[:)
itma

MOT ?

Post by itma »

for a daylight Mot no lamps to be fitted nor any part of the lighting system. That includes brakets
bike legal to be used in daylight hours only.
speedos compulsory after 1937 I think
Janet

MOT ?

Post by Janet »

A working speedo is not required for the MOT but, under the Construction and Use (?) Regulations, it is illegal to have a bike in a public place without one. ( subject to its age, as ITMA said. ) For info, this link shows what is tested. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm
rex.webb

MOT ?

Post by rex.webb »

Should the normal MOT be called
"DARKNESS MOT" ?
Drive with Care and Live Long.
r w webb
Janet

MOT ?

Post by Janet »

quote:
A working speedo is not required for the MOT but, under the Construction and Use (?) Regulations, it is illegal to have a bike in a public place* without one. ( subject to its age, as ITMA said. ) For info, this link shows what is tested. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm

*edit: to clarify, I mean using, or parked up, but not on a trailer.
pkr87

MOT ?

Post by pkr87 »

Hello David.My AJS trials has probably never had any lights fitted and the MOT certificates always state that the bike is for daylight use only.Although last MOT time the examiner did ask me to fit a reflector on the rear mudguard.If any lights at all are fitted to your machine then it must have a full set of lights,all working. I MOT test cars and the same rules apply with them.A speedo only needs to be fitted to vehicles after a certain date(mid thirties,but don't quote me on that one) and over a certain engine size but there is nothing in the test to check wether or not they work.
rex.webb

MOT ?

Post by rex.webb »

YOU GET CAUGHT OUT IN THE FOG WITH NO LIGHTS BY A "POLICE MAN" !!
Then you try and tell him you have a "DAYLIGHT MOT".
No i do not know a "FRIENDLY"!! "POLICEMAN" any more ,nore a "FRIENDLY BANK MANAGER".
Ride With Care and Live Long.
r w webb
Dougie

MOT ?

Post by Dougie »

A Daylight MOT means the bike can only be used in the hours between "lighting up times" (these will alter according to the season's progress) but only in weather/road conditions that do not require lights to be lit.

So, any fog, snow, heavy rain etc. during the daytime will make the use of a "Daylight MOT" vehicle illegal until the condition clears. Looking at the number of car drivers who think that their lights are only for use at night, I guess that this may not be universally enforced.
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership