rear wheel fitting. G80 51 rigid.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
wilko

Post by wilko »

I have a spare frame here and it is definitely smaller on the speedo side to suit the axle diameter.looks like someones filed yours out. You'll have to turn down a thin sleeve to make up for it. Some closeup pictures would be good of all your components.
wilko

Post by wilko »

Boy have i been sending you up the wrong tree Peter. Just looked at the archives and it seems the change to 1/2inch spindle was '49 and then changed again in '50! "47 and before had the 7/16inch axle.I'm going to shutup now!! Seems i have a '47 setup ! And fits straight into my '48 frame???
Peter Lecompte

Post by Peter Lecompte »

That's ok. I have been spending a lot of time up that wrong tree, dead ends and dark alleys!! I think all advice is helpful, sometimes it is just a matter of sorting through the details. I will build a rear axle eventually that will be mechanically safe, it will work and be able to be maintained. DWS, i am really interested in the details of that axle you pulled out of the Rigid G3L. In particular the details arounf the speedo spacer and the seal spacers for the rear hub?? Cheers Peter