rear wheel fitting. G80 51 rigid.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
wilko

Post by wilko »

Gosh, that was 2 years ago when i did that drawing! I don't even remember it! Trouble is my rear wheel is together for exact factory dimensions. Maybe someone else has one apart. Did you win that bearing set on ebay?
RayRST

Post by RayRST »

I will scan in the relevent page of the rear hub cross section from my 1948 16M owners maintenance manual and instruction book which describes all the parts but no dimensions. I will then send to photo section.
Regards
Ray Kell
Peter Lecompte

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Yes I did win on e-bay the other day. He lives just up the road from me also which was a suprise. I look forward to seeing the scan photo and determining what i need. There must be someone out there with dimensions. Cheers Peter
wilko

Post by wilko »

The axle went from 3/8inch to 7/16inch in '50 so make sure what you have. The rear frame section might have been changed. Mine is 3/8in. I have the 7/16 collar that slots into the sprocket side fork if you want it. I don't need it .Where are you? Going to Bendigo swapmeet?
DWS

Post by DWS »

quote: The axle went from 3/8inch to 7/16inch in '50

Be careful, for the 1950 model year the rear axle diameter on rigid frames was increased to 1/2 inch. I have just taken the axle out of my 1950 Rigid G3L and measured it and can confirm it is 1/2 inch diameter.

I've placed a photo of the axle assembly in the Post War Singles Parts section.Edited by - DWS on 16 Nov 2010 09:51:56 AM
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
Peter Lecompte

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Thanks Wilko, Ray and DWS for the additions to the photos page and information. The 1950 axle photo assembly looks great and is excellent information. I will be chasing spacers to get it all together. I am working out what I need, with great help from lots of people. I am gathering the bits and will continue to trial fit the assembly as I go. I live up in Queensland, so was unable to get to the Bendigo swap this year. I did hear that it was very wet though. I can be contacted through the forum or privately if you want. Cheers Peter
wilko

Post by wilko »

By the way i remeasured mine and it is a 1/2inch one, not 7/16. I must have been on drugs when i said 3/8 and 7/16 inch! My bike has 7/16 and the spare spacer is for 1/2 inch frame.
Peter Lecompte

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi Wilko and DWS, I am still trying to piece together the spacers/sleeves and collars for the rear axle on rigid, 1950 rear frame section. The ones I am now trying to get part No.s/availablility or dimensions of are the ones required for the speedo side. It looks like I need those two pieces internal and external (flat sections to fit into rear fork slot) to the speedo. There just seem to be so many combinations, but with all the help, i am getting closer. Happy New year to all. Cheers Peter
wilko

Post by wilko »

There is no flat section on the speedo drive side. The slot for the axle should match the axle diameter. On the inside of the drive there is a spacer the right width to stop the drive from being crushed. Easy to work out and make. I'm referring to the 7/16 axle version though. Are the slots two different sizes on your rear fork?
Peter Lecompte

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi Wilko, spent some time on the weekend assembling my parts for the rear axle. Here are some details: My axle is 1/2", the slots are both (left and right) 0.585" (9/16"???) and do not look like they have been altered/ground/filed??? The internal spacing between the slots is 7 1/2". I have the 6 bolt steel rear hub which is 1 1/2" internal diameter. I set up the internals (bearings, spacer, oli seals etc.) and it does seem right. I then set up the speedo side and find that I need some sort of spacer between the external of the speedo and the internal of the right slot. Also the 1/2" axle is very loose inside the slot on that side. It does look like it needs a similar arrangement that is on the brake plate side? Wilko, I could send some photos to you using PM if that helps? Cheers Peter