rear wheel fitting. G80 51 rigid.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
matchbox500

Post by matchbox500 »

I am in the process of re fitting the rear wheel on my 51 rigid G80, but would like some advice on a couple of things.
The speedo drive side has a nut/spacer which slides over the axle. It has a hexagonal head on it but it is not threaded. what does this do it doesn't tighten up.

I presume that the wheel nut tightens against this and that is enough to stop the speedo drive stop turning.
The other side (chaincase side)has a spacer with flats on it which I presume faces up to the brake plate, this slides over the axle. I presume that the flats on the spacer then push into the frame end when the wheel is tightened. There is not much room between the brake plate and frame end when tightened up, is this right.
Also can you tell me how the brake plate stop bolt fits into the slotted lug on the frame.

Jim Coward
wilko

Post by wilko »

On the rigid setup the axle usually has no hex on the speedo drive side it is round and onepiece as part of the axle unless someone has turned up their own axle and made a hex spacer.Dont forget the inner spacer as well or you will crush your speedo drive. It has to be the correct length.The other side sounds correct and should leave about 3\8 inch space between brakeplate and fork. ther are 2 sizes of axle which are 7\16 and 1\2 inch.
matchbox500

Post by matchbox500 »

Thanks, the one piece hex fitting is a slide fit and looks original, however I dont think that the other side (opposit to the speedo drive side) is right as the brake plate is hard up to the frame when the nuts are tightened. Should ther not be a spacer on this side. There is a fitting which has flats on it which fits into the frame end slot, the axle slides through this. What if anything fits into the hole in the brake plate.
Jim Coward
wilko

Post by wilko »

If you look up Christians Archives and dial in the '48 single parts list on the rear wheel bearing section there are pictures that you won't see in the later parts list because they only show the swinging arm setup. the collar that is on the brake side you have has another sleeve that slides over it and spaces the brakeplate about 3\8 inch away from the fork to lineup with your brakeplate stay. I made my own up on a lathe.i have found 2 different collars for different years(don't know why).You will see there is a onepiece sold spindle(axle)in the drawing that has no separate hex piece on the speedo side.I have 2 rigids and i know them inside out.There is no reason to have a hex piece as it just sits there.The drawings dont show the distance piece for the inside o the speedo drive so you will have to work out how thick to make it.I just looked up the '50 spares lis and it quotes 3\4in. for inner speedo spacer and 15\32in. for the collar that slides over the brake plate sleeve. I made mine about 1 1\4 diameter to but up against the brake plate. Pheeewww! My fingers are tired now!
wilko

Post by wilko »

Here's a crappy drawing of the setup.My camera doesn't like closeups! [IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/ ... 0_0797.jpg[/IMG]
barry edwards

Post by barry edwards »

Sorry for being thick, I am in need of similar information. Where do I find Christians Archive, is it on this site and I just search the forum because I can't find the 48 parts list photos.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Might not be the right way but I just google AJS Christians archives and it goes to the premium website, Christian is one of the choices.
deshollier
Deceased

Post by deshollier »

You will find it on http://archives.jampot.dk/ I have added all the useful sites to a bookmark file so can go to them with two clicks, one for the bookmarks file, one for the website I want to look at.
barry edwards

Post by barry edwards »

Thankyou all for this help. I was unaware of this research, I never cease to be amazed by the power of the internet.
Peter Lecompte

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi all, just to continue with this discussion on the 4 off spacers required for the 7/16" 48/49 rigid rear axles. There is one spacer (threaded and counterbored) which screws onto the solid spindle 41-G3L-H4-A and is outboard of the speedo drive. Wilko has provided a sketch with the other 3 spacers and some dimensions as a starting guide. I know this may be a big ask, but is there anywhere that would have the dimensions that these parts as machined by AMC? Part numbers are 012756, 012758 and 41-G3L-H26S. I am trying to build up my rear axle with initially only a hub to start with. I have since found a solid spindle and a bearing set. Now I am trying to find the spacers. Unfortuneately, I do not have a lathe so, I would need to have the job done by someone else, hence the need for the full measurements or the correct spacers. Cheers Peter