Need help with unknown AJS motorcycle model

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

YES Make it a Habit each time you start the buke .
"CHECK THE TAP and MAKE SURE IT IS
( ON ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Wish i could come down to your warmer climate and leave our behind.
r w webb
petert120r

Post by petert120r »

Later on you might like to consider replacing the tap with one that connects to the mag cutout and makes it impossible to start the engine when in the off position. These are easy to fit and available from A W Dove who advertises in Jampot magazine
GSAX1

Post by GSAX1 »

Nice pic's, nice mellow bike! Good that Duncan spotted the valve. Apart from the things I noticed earlier, it seems that only the handlebar rubbers are wrong, and the sidestand looks to have been modified(?). Also the carb has a insulating washer between the flange and the manifold. This should not be there, because it could make the carb warp as the bolts are tightened.

Otherwise a very nice bike, well worth keeping original.

Michael
laxy

Post by laxy »

that seat looks more comfortable than my bed
oh and the oil line tap looks to be in the off position if thats of any help to the new owner
stevie

Post by stevie »

welcome Jose!
They are spoiling you with all this interest! As for oils etc search the previuos posts in this forum and you will find a host of opinions! Do keep us posted as you proceed, won't you. Great pictures too, look forward to the next ones!
Regards
Steve
If a man speaks in the forest and his wife is not there to hear him is he still wrong?
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi Jose,
I hope you are very pleased with this AJS, I think its a very nice example, just as it is. I fully agree with the guys who have told you not to worry about some of the smaller fixtures and fittings not being correct..My goodness, it even has NGK plug caps!! It hardly matters a bit, as I suspect you wont be showing it in competitions! The nice thing for you is to be aware of what it DID have originally. Before running it, I an sure you will have to clean the carburettor thoroughly, involving dismantling. Id be inclined to feed petrol to it from another, known, clean tank/bottle for the first start up. TAKE NOTE OF THE BRASS TAP BY THE KICKSTART!! As stated before, ITS VERY IMPORTANT! DOUBLE CHECK THAT YOU KNOW WHICH IS THE 'ON' POSITION!! If you remove a spark plug and it has a nice blue spark, leave the ignition alone for the moment. Check the oil tank for oil and the gearbox too.. If the bike will start, allow it to warm up, and once warm, drain the engine oil. Id not be inclined to ride it on its first starting, until you know what the engine oil is like. (new, because youve just changed it!).
I was working north of Porto a few years back, Viana do Castelo, at a shipyard there. Very beautiful place and very friendly people, I hope to return soon.
Good luck!
KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
soundsk

Post by soundsk »

Hello Tony!

Viana do Castelo is where i live (born and raised)! If you ever come around here again let me know, we can get together!

Thank you all for your advice and attention, i am very glad i joined this community!

I will take things very slowly to make sure everything is done right.

Regards!
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

quote:
Hello Tony!

Viana do Castelo is where i live (born and raised)! If you ever come around here again let me know, we can get together!

Thank you all for your advice and attention, i am very glad i joined this community!

I will take things very slowly to make sure everything is done right.

Regards!

Hi Jose, well! how is that! I am quite regularly working up in Spain, a shipyard near Bilbao..it cant be too many kilometres down the road to Viana! If I can get that way, I would be very pleased to say hi.
If you forward me your email address, I can warn you in advance!
Regards Tony
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Steinøks

Post by Steinøks »

Congratulations !!!
AJS...Running so well !!!
crawsue

Post by crawsue »

Right on ! Tony,that looks like you sorted for the summers hols,then!Better take yer spanners,though,and an oily rag,luverlyEdited by - crawsue on 21 Jan 2009 11:20:08 AM
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?