New Jampot.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
itma

New Jampot.

Post by itma »

Worse scenario would be all the spares ending up as a monopoly in the hands of someone only in it to make a killing, with no interest in the Marque other than as a money making scheme.
Can you imagine the price of rare spares then?
You'd hear the howls of pain miles away.
crawsue

New Jampot.

Post by crawsue »

Agree with every word of the above.As a member who lives on the very edge of civilisation I get very little benefit of the "cluby" side of things.....to my considerable annoyance...as I would love to "belong".But this forum,and the general goodwill shown to me over the past 4 years from Kettering more than outways the 46p per week membership costs.From my very first copy of Jampot there has been a "movement" within the club who seem to resent commercial success,this came to a head when the previous 'bike selling enterprise at Kettering was "brought into the fold",there was a lot of negativity then,and it appears that it is still present. I understand that clubs need to have open ,reasoned discussion about direction,mangement, etc.but this to me seems like an oportunist move to return the club to what it may have been 2 decades ago.....compare that with the advert in Jampot for V.O.C and their scheme. CR. I'm sure that you are monitoring all discussion on this subject,please pass on my best wishes to JG and his staff,and please feel free to pull anything of my post here for inclusion in the ongoing discussion in "Jampot".
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
itma

New Jampot.

Post by itma »

When I dumped everything I had and a bit more besides into opening up a business dealing in old bike parts I did so as a vintage motorcycle enthusiast seeking to make a modest living out of my life's passion, and my hobby.
I found that unique amongst the followers of any hobby that motorcyclists really resented anyone making a living out of their hobby. To the verge of real hatred.
This attitude still lingers in some quarters.
I was rapidly disillusioned and grew into the lovable and cantankerous old git I remain to this day.
Its only bikes, you will not find this attitude among anglers, model train hobbyists etc.

I found men with beards to be the worst offenders, usually riding Velos, Panthers, or Vincents.
Merlin

New Jampot.

Post by Merlin »

Phew!! thank God I only have a G3LS and my smoker.
and without beardEdited by - Merlin on 13 Jan 2009 6:48:07 PM
Chemists do it with test tubes
arsey30

New Jampot.

Post by arsey30 »

'Kin'ell, I never had a beard in the old days when I rode British bikes, but as grey beard now, on Honda and AJS, what does that make me?

I have only bought 6 bikes from dealers over the last 48 years that I have been riding [3 new], and was happy to pay their prices for their services offered. [Archers, Heaths, Bryants]

However, I have to say that Itma always speaks a lot of sense and obviously has experience from both sides, but I think I too would find it difficult to combine my hobby with a business, I would always want to spend extra times to make the bikes good, and make no profit.

Dave.

Dougie

New Jampot.

Post by Dougie »

You're absolutely right, Ken! Matt has a beard and he's a miserable, moaning git! And he really hankers after a Yorkshire Plonker (Panther that is)

I remember old Stan Myers' place in Chatham, the only place locally where you could still buy Brit spares off the shelf, and we all used to moan about him because he was too dear and too miserable!

It's the age-old story; if something is more than you expect to pay for it, it must be too dear! It's in our genes (or is that jeans) We're a race of tight b*st*rds by nature.
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
Groily

New Jampot.

Post by Groily »

Crawsue says to CR

'please feel free to pull anything of my post here for inclusion in the ongoing discussion in "Jampot".'

Ditto from another faraway member.

billet doux to itma: your stuff makes this place worth visiting.javascript:insertsmilie('') Might even get a shave one of these years! javascript:insertsmilie('')Thing is, it's hard to hold the old cut-throat these days without wanting to cut said throat . . . global woes, gloom doom . . . .
Mem says that would mess up the bathroom, and please don't.

bjork

New Jampot.

Post by bjork »

I'd be happy for my view to be printed in Jampot too.
Or would it be better if we sent seperate e-mails direct to the editor@jampot.com ?
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Duncan

New Jampot.

Post by Duncan »

What Steve says, the best way to get your point across to the full club membership (either for or against) in the way that you want to say it is to write/e-mail to Chris (I am sure he would welcome the correspondence), as the forum despite its circulation potential (17885 Members, 3252 who are club members) does not reach all parts of the club, the Jampot is the only way to do that.
lawrence

New Jampot.

Post by lawrence »

It used to annoy me when this stuff was recycled regularly, before I was involved with the committee. Now I am involved with the committee and see just how much hard work Jim and the crew at Kettering put in it is just hard to understand. You have all made very pertinent comments and it is good to see the groundswell of support for Kettering.

Since his time with JSL, Jim has introduced hundreds of new lines. Some of those are available elsewhere but only because JSL commissioned them, no sane business person would. Look at the tank badges in this month’s Jampot mag. Only available through us. They will not be economical but we had them made as there was a (small) demand.

Itma has hit the nail on the head. In these tough times it is not impossible that some of the suppliers of AMC parts could go under. If only one supplier was left, it would be a disaster for us as AJS and Matchless owners. We would be entirely at their mercy. JSL are the major reason that parts availability for our bikes is probably the best in the classic bike world. JSL have driven that. All the other suppliers compete to beat us. That gives us a situation that is the envy of others.

A new committee was voted in at the Jampot Rally last year with many fresh faces. The new committee is working hard with JSL to improve communication to the members so that everyone is aware of the enormous benefits that our commercial operations bring to the club. Lots of people are doing lots of work, completely unpaid, to try and ensure that they are able to continue making these valuable contributions. Countless members have done this over the decades since the spares scheme started as a collection of rusty bits shared between five sheds.

If you are happy with JSL, write and tell the editor. If you are not, then write and tell the club’s General Secretary and he will act upon your comments. His address is in the Jampot mag.