no oil circulation 46 G3

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
John D

no oil circulation 46 G3

Post by John D »

I started my newly completed trials special for the first time late last night. It's got a 46 G3 bottom end which Malcolm Saggers rebuilt for me.
There was oil coming out of the feed to the engine cause I left it loose until i'd filled the tank. I turned the engine over a lot before starting it. I'd put a little oil down the push rod tubes just in case.
I have no oil circulation. I did not dare run the engine for long. I'm going to check flow again to the engine entry point and anything else I can spot.
But, am I missing anything incredidbly obvious (which i'm quite good at) eg priming the pump somehow. Its got a non-standard alloy oil tank, but the feed and return are standard pipes.
Thanks for any useful suggestions.
John
SPRIDDLER

no oil circulation 46 G3

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
I have no oil circulation. I did not dare run the engine for long. I'm going to check flow again to the engine entry point and anything else I can spot.

SIGH Not again!

In my (recent and sadly all too frequent) experience it can be as long as one to two minutes (As the bishop said to the ...oh, never mind).

How long did you run the engine for John?
What oil is in there? (Gloopy 50 mono in a cold shed/garage?).
Did you pre-soak the filter and fill the filter chamber?
Do you have a Pacemaker?
Pasty crumbs stuck in the pipes?

Later:
Search this Help Forum "Oil return" and you'll find this:
http://www.ajs-matchless.com/topic.asp? ... Title=Help
and more....Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 14 Dec 2008 11:11:33 AM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Don Madden

no oil circulation 46 G3

Post by Don Madden »

You say you have oil getting to the engine but that does not mean to the pump. Remove the 1/4in screw plug at the front of the oil pump housing, near the front plate. Oil should ooze out & prime the supply pump.

If OK, remove the pipe at the front plate that feeds the rockerbox & kick the engine over 100 times or so, or run the engine slowly. An occasional spurt should come out, very occasional as the 1946 engine has a single start plunger, stroking half as fast as the slow 1947 & later 2 start pump.

Double any time given for the later engine to circulate oil, but don't worry as the flow is adequate for the G3L.

Cheers, Don, in frosty Southern California
John D

no oil circulation 46 G3

Post by John D »

Thanks guys,
I didn't find the previous stuff on a quick search. Sorry to bother you all with a repeat topic. Better safe than sorry I guess. I'll try again after all the checks and with a lovely warm workshop!

John
Dougie

no oil circulation 46 G3

Post by Dougie »

John

I had exactly the same experience on running my 1939 G3 engine after a complete rebuild. I was scared to run it any longer as I just knew it would seize.

But the "old lags" on this forum said to pour oil in everywhere, have a cup of tea, then run the engine. I trusted them and did so and, hey presto, after what seemed like ages, I got oil flowing back into the tank. I say flowing but it is much, much less than a flow; spurts and dribbles is more like it, but it is right.

Be bold...
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
itma

no oil circulation 46 G3

Post by itma »

spurts and dribbels?
How rude it comes to us all in time

as for the bike thats how its meant to be, cos thats how its a Dry Sump system, not a wet one
SPRIDDLER

no oil circulation 46 G3

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
...not a wet one

Oh Gawd, that reminds me I'll have to give worty whiskery auntie Gladys her season's kiss next week.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Dougie

no oil circulation 46 G3

Post by Dougie »

Pre '46 dry sump = prostate (spurts and dribbles)

Apologies to our senior correspondants!
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
TommoT

no oil circulation 46 G3

Post by TommoT »

quote:
I started my newly completed trials special for the first time late last night. It's got a 46 G3 bottom end which Malcolm Saggers rebuilt for me.
There was oil coming out of the feed to the engine cause I left it loose until i'd filled the tank. I turned the engine over a lot before starting it. I'd put a little oil down the push rod tubes just in case.
But, am I missing anything incredidbly obvious (which i'm quite good at) eg priming the pump somehow. Its got a non-standard alloy oil tank, but the feed and return are standard pipes.
Thanks for any useful suggestions.
John

Last year I helped assemble a mate's 18S, it took a total of 2½ minutes to get the droolin', drippin'n spurting going! Scary as hell, but we didn't prime the sump or filter tunnel, that would've helped! So keep goin', if everything is assembled correctly.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
John D

no oil circulation 46 G3

Post by John D »

It's unlikely I will have time to deal with my lack of circulation until the weekend, but after this series of advice i must admit I'm building up quite a high level of anticipation - and theres me thinking this was simply a bike forum - how niave, its a much more sophisticated beast and long may it survive.