Kill Switch

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
bjork

Kill Switch

Post by bjork »

A few years ago I had to do this, throttle stuck open, no kill switch-used valve lifter and............fine. Engine stopped, the valve is only just held off its seat so no risk of hitting piston at least with flat top piston.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Caperodder

Kill Switch

Post by Caperodder »

I guess the decomp is ok...but in my situation I would not have wanted one hand off the bars fiddling around for the lever. Still may try to find an electrical alternative.

Thanks for the advice.

-Brett
paul knapp

Kill Switch

Post by paul knapp »

You should not have to take your hand off the handle bar to pull on the de - comp lever!
You may have it in the wrong position!
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

TommoT

Kill Switch

Post by TommoT »

In an emergency you shouldn't fiddle around, trying to remove the spark plug cap. Just one hefty tug at HT lead should do the trick
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Caperodder

Kill Switch

Post by Caperodder »

Hmmm. Maybe my bike is not properly equipped. The only small levers on my handle bars are choke and mag advance. Decomp is a little lever on top of the head. What am I missing here?

itma

Kill Switch

Post by itma »

another little lever on the left hand bar and a cable to connect.
paul knapp

Kill Switch

Post by paul knapp »

.....also, removing the h/t lead off the plug with the magneto working is not a good idea, as it leaves nowhere for the build up of electrical energy to discharge, except across the safety gap screw if fitted ....AND working!
If not, it can cause arcing through the insulation which will cause tracking and eventual premature failure of the armature.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

alanjennings

Kill Switch

Post by alanjennings »

It all depends on how your decomp. works-I have a twin so it doesn't have one. However, on my Vincent it works by lifting the exhaust valve-to do that at speed is not good news!! On my old B.S.A. it was similar. Bjork is correct that on an A.M.C single it should not be a problem!!Apologies toTommot!! Or on a Royal Enfield!! "kill switches "are compulsory on modern bikes .Fit a cutout to be safe!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
jonesboy

Kill Switch

Post by jonesboy »

I tried to fit a kill switch to my N1 mag on my scrambler , it was not succesfull, I came off this year with the throttle stuck in the mud , so pulled off the plug cap, easy. The mag has an earthing screw or brush for that very reason.Its good to make sure the throttle snaps shut when its let go.