I've ridden my first 1,000 miles! :-)

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

All Brit. bikes I have ever owned have poor engine breathers, there are lots of "mods" about, but my Knowledge on A.M.C.s is still in it"s infancy!! I enjoy winter riding, as long as it is not icy!! Less traffic means quiet roads to bumble down, if you have an alternator- as I think you have, even better!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
steveb

Post by steveb »

Well done on the mileage.....thanks to the tinterweb I and many others feel we have riden with you !!! When you get crusty and jaded and like me ride less than three figires between MOTs you can look back on this as a triumph....pun intended.

good luck

Steveb
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

quote:
All Brit. bikes I have ever owned have poor engine breathers, there are lots of "mods" about, but my Knowledge on A.M.C.s is still in it"s infancy!!

You're in for a nice surprise, AMCs have excellent breathers, if the orginal set-up is kept in good working order. At least judging from my limited experience with the postwar models.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
fishsponge

Post by fishsponge »

talking of breathers, here's a question... there is a rubber hose attached to the breather pipe which then pushes onto a fitting that goes into the oil tank.

Should i remove this hose and block up the opening into the oil tank?
><> fishsponge <><

Take a look at my 1966 Matchless G3! :-)
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Why,it was put there for a reason,i guess when oil warms it expands pushing air out without it you would pressurise the tank.(just a thought)
Chemists do it with test tubes
AJS650

Post by AJS650 »

quote:
Why,it was put there for a reason,i guess when oil warms it expands pushing air out without it you would pressurise the tank.(just a thought)

steady Merlin thats womans logic
Sometimes,, the shed is locked and Kev has the key :-(
fishsponge

Post by fishsponge »

the opening into the oil tank has the breather hose attached to it, so none of the system is open to the air whatsoever... the loop goes like this:

oil tank --> crank case --> breather pipe --> rubber hose --> oil tank

obviously there are a few other things i've missed out like the rocker box feed and the return pipe, but hopefully that explains how my breather isn't a breather because it goes straight back into the oil tank, which i guess becomes pressurised to an extent!
><> fishsponge <><

Take a look at my 1966 Matchless G3! :-)
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I have to admit on my travels to listening to womans hour AJS650 to try and learn what makes you lot tick alas no luck.
Chemists do it with test tubes
AJS650

Post by AJS650 »

quote:
I have to admit on my travels to listening to womans hour AJS650 to try and learn what makes you lot tick alas no luck.

Merlin honey don`t put yourself through that sort of pain, a womans logic is always right a man is only right if a woman says so and even if she is wrong a woman is ALWAYS right
Sometimes,, the shed is locked and Kev has the key :-(
bjork

Post by bjork »

Fishy, I think you'll need to study the standard breather set up in your manual. The crankcase breathing will need to be released to atmosphere at some point. My G15 breathes from the crankcase into the oil tank as yours seems to, then there is another pipe out of the oil tank to atmospere. The idea is any oil blown out of the crankcase gets a chance to condense into the tanks contents. The gas then exits by the second pipe. It may be that yours is meant to escape by a vent hole in the oil tank cap, a little hole like in the fuel cap. Check it out as you will need to have it working to avoid more oil leaks.
(I chose the G15 example as it is a similar era to your single)Edited by - bjork on 05 Nov 2008 9:58:06 PM
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today