WD Matchless

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Galea

WD Matchless

Post by Galea »

I am currently restoring a WD Matchless, frame number 5078. It has a G3 frame with a lug for sidecar attachment and Burman CP gearbox, but it is fitted with teledraulic forks and a G3L engine (no number). I do not know if this was a post-war modification or if it is a transitional model such as the G3WO as described in British Forces Motorcycles.

Thanks and Regards,

Joseph

Edited by - Galea on 21 Oct 2008 07:35:58 AM
itma

WD Matchless

Post by itma »

This occurs so often as to almost be normal.
Army practice, especially on an outpost like Malta with its WW2 history. would be to keep the vehicle going with what is at hand, so bits would be mixed up.
There is, in my opinion, no such thing as an "original "ex WD bike.
My advice would be, if this bike has been in Malta all its life, to restore it as it is, and preserve its history.
Also take your email down as soon as possible or the spammers will get it.
Galea

WD Matchless

Post by Galea »

Thanks, email removed
Galea

WD Matchless

Post by Galea »

As far as I know the bike has been here since WW2 and I don't plan to change the front forks. Firstly, the girder forks are quite hard to get hold of, and when they do come up, they are often expensive. Secondly, I intend to ride the bike and its my impression that the teledraulic forks offer a more comfortable ride.

Thanks for your views.

Regards,

Joseph
mick williams

WD Matchless

Post by mick williams »

quote:
teledraulic forks offer a more comfortable ride.

I have not had the chance to compare with girders, but the teledraulic forks are a good bit of kit and are better than some modern teles in my opinion.

As for the saddle, get a good pair of springs and fit a little foam under the cover, I used some thin stuff from an old camping bed roll, it works much better than that old horsehair stuff or what ever it is!
RIDE FREE AND STAY UPRIGHT
Dougie

WD Matchless

Post by Dougie »

My view is the same as Ken's; there is no such thing as an original ex-WD bike.

These bikes have the greatest amount of mechanical "history" or "provenance" due to the amount of serious maintenance they were subjected to. It really was a case of keep them going at any cost.
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership