Pre-war 350 37/26

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Groily

Pre-war 350 37/26

Post by Groily »

I went this morning to see a complete and pretty decent unrestored pre-war 350 AJ. It's a '37/26', which the link to our German friends' site confirms to be an ohv 350 of 1937, with an N1 mag and an Amal. Which is what I saw precisely. Apart from the tank-top instruments, the mag drive cover and a few odds and ends like several clutch plates, it's all there and represents a very nice project as the engine and other major mechanicals look very good. Almost all the tinware is present and correct bar a toolbox. Its current owner may or mayn't part with it in due course, but in the meantime I got volunteered to ask hereabouts among the cognoscenti as to any known stocks of spares for the pre-war models. I assume there aren't any! But it never hurts to ask. In particular, clutch parts for Burman HP, best place to go to get exhaust systems made up - twin port (high-level?) pipes, etc. Armours? Any thoughts much appreciated as I know nothing . . .
Dougie

Pre-war 350 37/26

Post by Dougie »

Bonjour Groily

Rob Harknet, the club's pre-war officer, would be the best source to guide you. The club per say has no apparent interest in pre-war and WD bikes, they are just too early, and so JSL carry very little in the way of spares.

I hook up to the Yahoo Group wd-prewar-ajandmatchless@yahoogroups.com

It is a mine of info and many members of the group have various spares and even have job lots of parts made to share with others at cost. The difficulty in obtaining genuine parts is that most members only want to exchange for other parts, they don't often sell any outright.
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
Groily

Pre-war 350 37/26

Post by Groily »

Thanks a lot Bros M and N. That's a very helpful link.
I realise the club can't do a lot for the earlier stuff - boy, am I grateful for what it does for the later bikes - but I do see features on the older models in the Jampot from time to time so I know there are people like you out there. Not sure if I want to try to home in on this beast for myself as it would probably be too expensive - Brit iron costs more here, just as a decent 500cc Terrot would cost a lot there. I'm really just looking on behalf of a friend, the current owner, who doesn't speak much English. Plus the fact that my memsahib thinks 8 bikes in the shed and 5, nearly 6, on the road, is pushing it a bit. I hear words like 'extravagant' - no that any of them are shiny or anything, they just work! However, I intend to look interested as I really liked what I saw. A very practical motorcycle, which apart from being a rigid isn't very different from many '50s offerings. Solid engineering, complete with Prince of Darkness electric lights. And I do so want something with girders! I shall apply myself to the web and see what I find.
model26

Pre-war 350 37/26

Post by model26 »

Hi Groily,
Snap(!), I have exactly the same age and model of bike, bought 6 years ago today! Just had a 30 mile run on it this afternoon! I am delighted with it now, after having restored most of it, including an engine rebuild. (Usual resortation setbacks, cursing, swearing etc).

A reasonable quantity of parts are still available, it is a case of spending some time tracking them down. Try Russell motors in Clapham, the internal rocker gear is identical to the post war models so can be had from Jampot Spares, pistons came from 'Bantam John' in Birmingham, valves from Andrew Engineering, Armours made the high levels pipes (catalogue item), carby from Surrey Cycles, I rebuilt the dynamo using a new armature and bearings. I made several other smaller parts on the lathe or mill, but this can be done by anyone with similar machines. Some parts such as tin ware would be very hard to track down.

Yep, I wish JSL would have more of an interest in pre-war bikes - there is enough of them around.

It is a fairly swift and manoeuverable model, being light weight. The girder forks make for quite a different ride compared to post war models, being not so good on rough sweeping corners, as it can bounce - but then then that is just one of the quirks of girder forks.

There is only one option for yourself, and that is go for it!
kernow kid

Pre-war 350 37/26

Post by kernow kid »

Hi Groily,
Personally, I think those pre war models are very nice looking bikes. Id be pleased to be in your position.
With regards to the collection...Ive had comments made about why I need more than one bike..and remarks like 'You can only ride one at a time'
Now I have an answer!
Just ask the questioner how many CD's or DVD's they own...I bet its more than 5.. and they can only listen to them one at a time!
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Groily

Pre-war 350 37/26

Post by Groily »

Small world! You've got me excited now.
But as it ain't mine and might never be I have to be calm . . .!!! No problem with the lathe and mill side of it, as both the current owner and I have the weapons - just spent this afternoon making odds and sods for a mate's Rudge Ulster, how exalted is that!? On this local Mod 26, the biggest lack is a serviceable clutch centre and the mainshaft collar/inner race for the rollers - otherwise in principal there's everything to make it go. Oh . . . clutch plates. I thought Armours might be the folk for the pipes, and apart from Bantam John I know the other suppliers more or less well from other dealings. I shall try to ingratiate myself with my pal, so he can see I might be a worthy future proprietor. As he's a wonderfully eccentric and locally well-known classic repairer (wonderful 1920's enormous flat-belt driven lathe the size of a small house!) and small-time trader, I'm sure it will become available in due course. I note all that you say. I should probably try to have it! Especially as it could be made roadworthy as an unrestored machine (from what I have seen so far) - which is what I like best.
Now I have to decide whether to share the snippets of knowledge gained with Monsieur, who has only a limited idea of what he has got. Or simply say: 'Nah, sorry mon ami, had a look round the web anglais, no parts anywhere, best get rid of it - oh, 'n I'll do yer a favour by taking it off yer 'ands!' I don't think so!
Merlin

Pre-war 350 37/26

Post by Merlin »

Your last sentiment is correct I bought my Greaves East Coaster after two years of negotiations but still told the owner he would get more on E-Bay or joint he owners club.Mine now for a good price and clear conscience.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Groily

Pre-war 350 37/26

Post by Groily »

It is - just goes to show we're basically not bad people. Plus of course one wants to keep one's friends, life being too short and the world being too small for that sort of gamesmanship.
itma

Pre-war 350 37/26

Post by itma »

Groily., this is a cracking little bike but can you not post a photo?
The clutch parts will be less of a problem than the timing cover, there are two possible variations; but the biggest bugbear will be the missing instruments, is the dash panel there? has it got the central lamp?
I have seen the panel and switches go for around 500 quid on flea bay.
My experiences of pre war brit bikes in france and spain lead me to advise caution, do your research, as so many were kept going by some ingenious mixing of parts and the freely availiable G3/ G3L bits after 1944
pistons, bigends etc are the same as Matchless.
Groily

Pre-war 350 37/26

Post by Groily »

I'll try to get a pic in a couple of weeks if I can get back into his shed
Agree with what you say re Continental mix and match to keep them running Itma (I know dozens of examples and am partially guilty myself in small ways). My basic prob is I have no real idea myself what it should look like. However, I do know the headlamp is obviously wrong, I know the instruments are missing, fairly sure about the panel and lamp and switchgear not being there either (as the h/lam has a switch in its nacelle). Must browse the literature/web for a pic of a proper one . . .
Whether it could eventually swap hands again or not, I've promised to try to help, by dint of speaking anglais, to find some of the (easy!) bits. I suspect 500 quid flea-bay instruments would put this chap off quite a bit. Should see him again in 14 days, whereupon will try to get closer if I can.

I suppose the problem with all these things is that they are 'worth' whatever anyone is prepared to pay on the day. What I don't know is how much it cost the present owner, nor his view on its value in a running (if partly unoriginal-and-hard-to-sort) state. In my opinion, it could be made to run in a weekend if his analysis of the oily bits (tres bon, he says) is correct. To fire it up it needs just a clutch centre etc and a mag with a spark, plus a replacement for the broken cable-carrying alloy end plate. As my own knowledge of singles of any description extends no further than my current B31 and years ago a 500 Red Hunter, I'm about as much use as a chocolate teapot in relation to all the finer points of how it should be. But I do intend to partly fix that deficit - out of sheer interest and possibly self-interest as well.