BMW Flat Twin

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
GSAX1

BMW Flat Twin

Post by GSAX1 »

Hi Brad.

I have had my R100CS for 19 years now. Also had a R80 before. The older flat twins are beautiful quality bikes with a few quirks.

Plusses:
* Superb detail finish, paint and chrome
* Absolutely reliable if well sorted and maintained
* Easy access to parts
* Not too expensive parts as compared to jap bikes
* Easy to do all maintenance tasks
* Plenty of accessories, and they fit perfectly
* Perfect for longer trips
* Easy, relaxed gait
* Bullet-proof engine if well maintained

Minuses:
* Relatively expensive
* Must be maintained and cleaned to keep the nice finish. Salty roads are no-no.
* Could wobble and/or weave if not correctly setup
* Not ideal for short trips
* Picky on tyres

Problem areas:
* Valves/valve seats - valves must be adjusted regularly. Beware that they close up, especially when you drive at higher speeds (80mph+).
* Small oil leaks could occur at cylinder base, pushrod seals, main crankshaft seal. Not expensive to fix if you do it yourself.
* Clutch and driveshaft splines wear on some models. Could be an issue if machine is past 100,000 miles.
* Front fork seals leak easily, the latest seals fix this.
* Correct carb sync is not easily obtained without practice and painstakingly maintained wires.
* Heavy flywheel and clutch on pre-80 models give clunky gearshift.

You either love it or hate it. I absolutely love mine. A thing of beauty is a joy forever . The 1980-84 models are the best in my opinion.

However, the need for tinkering made be buy a British bike again, the beemers could be just too perfect sometimes .

http://folk.ntnu.no/gregor/Bilder/MC/BM ... 201984.jpg

MichaelEdited by - GSAX1 on 03 Oct 2008 10:50:57 AM
Merlin

BMW Flat Twin

Post by Merlin »

posted this was it some miserable old curmudgeon yup it was me and you are correct.
Chemists do it with test tubes
crawsue

BMW Flat Twin

Post by crawsue »

If I was in the market for a modern-ish air-cooled twin (and if I had room!)then I would have a serious look at a Moto Guzzi....I know,I know....but there is just something "right" about them.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
paultbird

BMW Flat Twin

Post by paultbird »

When I had a Guzzi I kept wishing I'd got a beamer instead

Judging by the number of BMW owners in our section I thought BMW = Bavarian MATCHLESS Works

http://www.poachers-jampot.co.uk/
itma

BMW Flat Twin

Post by itma »

the best thing on beemers is the RT fairing, brilliant bit of kit, keeps all the weather off and I could sit upright over the ton.
Strong too.
Really heavy on tyres, and every time I went out on it something stopped working, only little niggardly things, but irritating all the same.
The paint on the frame was dreadful. and it was a pig to work on.
But for real entertainment you can't beat trying to change a fuse on one of the 600 boxers with a fairing on....unless you remove the fairing, what a no no that is;you had to sit on the bike and use a mirror and pair of long nose pliers to fit the damn thing as the fusebox was in the back of the headlamp; I believe I lost my sanity there.
In 1976 the City of London police bought six of these dreadful bikes from the Chiswick depot.
Three of them broke down between Chiswick and Liverpool St on the way back, electrical bothers.
now if you could fit Honda CX running gear into a frame with the RT fairing, that'd be a bike.
I'd rather chose the CX over the Beemer too.
Brad

BMW Flat Twin

Post by Brad »

Just got home from work and logged on.
Many thanks for all your replies its certainly given me food for thought. On balance at the moment with two cars and two bikes to look after I'm not sure I should be taking a beemer on as well. On the other hand, I could sell one of the cars. Hmmm.
Thanks again
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
Brad

BMW Flat Twin

Post by Brad »

Meant to add earlier, had a close look at your pic GSXA1, -- stunning looking bike, I can see the attraction.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
kernow kid

BMW Flat Twin

Post by kernow kid »

Hey crawsue.. its not just me then!
I keep taking sneaky peeks at Guzzis.. even if the chrome washes off and the electrics would appear to be knocked up from the bits Lucas threw away as 'poor quality'!
Do i need help??
KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Merlin

BMW Flat Twin

Post by Merlin »

You must must be a perv.
Chemists do it with test tubes
kernow kid

BMW Flat Twin

Post by kernow kid »

Hmm.. you think so??
Maybe lusting after a BMW is kinky...
Fancying a Guzzi is perverted??
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...