hello

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
deshollier
Deceased

hello

Post by deshollier »

And very few are more experienced than Don - though he - being an American, is far too modest to say so - listen and learn Paul, you will hear verbal gold dust! Edited by - deshollier on 25 Aug 2008 5:11:54 PM
itma

hello

Post by itma »

Wot they said.
Jamster you are on the way to making the typical novice mistake of thinking that if you replace everything that goes up and down and round and round you will have a new bike.
You won't and you will have a broken wallet and a disappointing bike.
A good old one, albeit half worn, from the factory is better than a new one of uncertain quality.

Edited by - itma on 25 Aug 2008 5:22:17 PM
jamster

hello

Post by jamster »

Thanks for the advice
The problem is is doesn`t matter how good they used to make them if there worn out its time to go
I read an article on this forum about heavyweight rear hubs by CG and it says in there if the bearing is knackered then replace it.
Now i understand about remanufactured pattern parts and dubious quality which is why i was looking at AMC spares and not just buying from fleabay
All i am trying to do is replace worn out bearings not support the japenese war effort and stick two fingers up to the good old British Empire.
Sometimes you have to replace something and the only option is a new remanufactured item.
I know lots of you gents have kept these bikes going for years on a shoe string but i also know i see lots at the side of the road that have been restored and cared for broken down.
Is it the new replacement parts that have failed or the old second hand ones that apparently still had loads of life in them.
I would not replace the bearings and spend my hard earned wonga if i did`nt need to but sometimes needs must.
If anyone knows the best source to get these bearings or has a bearing that is in good condition for sale i would gladly go their route.
I am new to this classic bike world and only young (44) but have been around engineering all my life.
I am also concerned that a purchase may be dubious quality and a big price does not guarantee anything.
From what i can see the raised inner race that sits inside the lip of the internal spacer is what makes this bearing special and i assume that replacement ones will not be like this but will have a new longer spacer to keep the bearings apart at the right distance.
Tapered roller bearings eh..... what were they thinking !!!!
Once again i do appreciate your advice as i know how invaluble experience is and worth more than most other things which is why i am here on this forum.

ps If anyone has any bearings for sale please ring me on 07834600632 as i would rather put the money in their pocket.

Many thanks
Biscuit
Deceased

hello

Post by Biscuit »

Andrew Engineering, 01942 888848 have limited stock of these bearings.

itma

hello

Post by itma »

nothing wrong with taper roller bearings.
properly adjusted and greased, and without being pressure washed they last indefinately.

mistake number 3
restored means bugger all, properly put together does.
And it don't need paint to run sweetly or reliably.
mistake number 4 will be to try and fit masses of techno crap to make it japanese.
griffin

hello

Post by griffin »

quote:
Hi, my name is Dave, I have recently bought a Matchless G2

Sounds like someone at an alcoholics anonymous type meeting.
mick williams

hello

Post by mick williams »

quote:
quote:
Hi, my name is Dave, I have recently bought a Matchless G2

Sounds like someone at an alcoholics anonymous type meeting.

Paul probably will be an alcoholic by the time he sorts those bearings out!

Just Joking Paul

If your tapered rollers are shot and you can get new ones (or good condition second hand ones), once fitted they will see both you and the bike out, maintained and adjusted correctly and at regular intervals. What really buggers them is overtightening and/or lack of lubrication (and very rapidly), but as someone who has a knowledge of engineering you will understand this.

Tapered rollers were used as wheel bearings on quality vehicles like the matchless's for donkey's years and in my view are far better than the sealed unit (throw away when it's knackered) rollers used today. A word of warning if you follow this route. Err on the side of caution, it is better to have a tiny bit more end float than too little. Where the rear wheel is concerned it is impossible to adjust while in situ but best to check while in situ. I followed the manual which advised fully tightening then backing of 1 half turn. It took a bit of trial and error but I finally settled on 1 full turn.

Hope you get it sorted soon, and as a relativley new member to the club myself welcome aboard[8DEdited by - mick williams on 26 Aug 2008 5:17:34 PM
RIDE FREE AND STAY UPRIGHT
jamster

hello

Post by jamster »

Sorted the bearings and they should be here by thursday. Thanks for all the advise and comments.

Now dodgy petrol taps.........lol
mick williams

hello

Post by mick williams »

quote:
Now dodgy petrol taps.........lol

Yup! bet they're leaking!?

You need new corks ya do!!
RIDE FREE AND STAY UPRIGHT
jamster

hello

Post by jamster »