54GLS Rear Rack

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
shropshire lad

54GLS Rear Rack

Post by shropshire lad »

Does anyone have a rack for subject bike, or know of a manufacturer. Needed to carry tent etc next month.

Thanks

Alan
Duncan

54GLS Rear Rack

Post by Duncan »

Alan

Have you tried JSL?

900649 REAR CARRIER FITS 1951-58
023233.Rear Carrier fits s/arm models with 2-piece rear guard.

Stocks are apparently low, I believe that you can fit the later rack to an earlier machine though if desperate.
SPRIDDLER

54GLS Rear Rack

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Alan
I fitted a rack three years ago from Andrew Engineering (01942 888848) for the camping gear on my '54 G3LS.
All the bolt holes lined up and it has stood the test of about 5000 miles loaded with camping gear without blemish. (Well, maybe just a few splashes of Bordeaux on my shirt). I think it was about 50 squids.
I did find tho' that I had to put only light stuff at the very rear of the rack - sleeping bag, clothes and pillow etc - the tent at the forward end of the rack, and the rest in throw-overs across the pillion seat area. I found that with the weight biased towards the rear ( I beg your pardon, madam) I suffered awful front wheel wobble at slow speed - 5 to 20 mph and when I took one hand off the 'bars to signal. Adjusting the steering head races helped reduce it.
FWIW I pack my dry stuff in two roll-top plastic canoeists bags. £6.99 each from camping shops (but not Millets). Everything stayed perfectly dry for 500 Cornish Jampot sea miles.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GSAX1

54GLS Rear Rack

Post by GSAX1 »

The rear rack is absolutely the worst place to fasten heavy luggage. Almost any bike will be upset by this. Better put heavy stuff in a tank bag.

Michael
Tolly

54GLS Rear Rack

Post by Tolly »

Pillow? Pillow I couldn't get mine in my tank bag.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
AJS650

54GLS Rear Rack

Post by AJS650 »

quote:

i have built in pillows( so kev tells me anyway) plus i don`t fit on the tank very well ( i have tried)
Sometimes,, the shed is locked and Kev has the key :-(
SPRIDDLER

54GLS Rear Rack

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:

Yep, after many years' trying to sleep using rolled up (more often than not, wet) riding gear and boots etc I now take a half-size real pillow, normally drizzled with a few drops of soothing oil - I use SAE 50 in summer. 30 in winter of course and changed every 1000 miles. It is THE most important bit of camping kit and squashes down to next to nothing. Sheer bliss!
My tent (which is my heaviest item) won't fit in my tank bag which is, in these globally warmed days reserved for my one-piece waterproof suit, spare dry gloves, waterproof overboots, a couple of Snickers bars, loo roll and first aid kit, bread maker, cuddly toy... no, not the last two actually, I jest; they go in the panniers.
Built-in pillows are but a dream. A recurring and somewhat disturbing dream it must be said. I must get details from ITMA of his lust removing potions.
Re. having heavy gear at the rear (no, not you madam), I often wonder how some riders manage when I see them stowing cooker, tent, tools etc in their huge top boxes mounted high up on their classics.
Maybe they don't wobble.
Even hedges need hugs.
GSAX1

54GLS Rear Rack

Post by GSAX1 »

Instead of bringing a pillow, use the stuff bag from your sleeping bag. Stuff clothes inside and presto, you have a pillow.

Michael
itma

54GLS Rear Rack

Post by itma »

your problem Sprid, is your prediliction for skinny widows, go for a plump one next time

My missus is not at all skinny and so I sleep very comfortably thanks
SPRIDDLER

54GLS Rear Rack

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Instead of bringing a pillow, use the stuff bag from your sleeping bag. Stuff clothes inside and presto, you have a pillow.

Michael

Hmm, Michael, I must admit that haven't tried that since I was a Boy Scout 40 or more years ago. Strangely, my head felt as if it was resting on a bag stuffed with clothes.